Popular Links
Fishing Report
Hike Schedule

 

CANNELTON HISTORIC DISTRICT
WALKING TOUR

Map of Cannelton Historic District

1. Perry County Courthouse Museum

It is made of pressed yellow brick with Bedford limestone trim. Contractor Charles Galligan broke ground on the City Hall foundation June of 1896.

The couthouse was built to replace the first courthouse at Cannelton, which was in a house remodeled for the hasty move of the county seat from Rome in 1859. The building cost $30,000.00 which was raised by Cannelton citizens. The building was deeded by Cannelton to the county on June 12, 1897. The county seat stayed in Cannelton from 1859 untill 1994.

The stone wall around the Court House was built by Henry Heim in 1901. (More info)

2. Henry Heim House
(109 E. 7th Street )

(current sign on building says Charles Haury House)

According to Heim-Gerber tradition, Martin Heim, stone carver and mason, erected this building after completion of St Michael's Chruch with stone left over from that project. He resided in the home until his death in 1880.

3. A Blacksmith Shop stood on this site prior to the modern building being built in 1922. (between Haury House and Smith/Wallot Building )

4. Hamilton Smith Jr./ Nicholas Wallot House
(East corner of 7th and Washington )

The stone building was erected by B.H. Rogge a few years before 1859 under a contractual agreement with the Cannel Coal Company. On July 15, 1863 under a Sheriff's Deed from B.H. Rogge the Coal Company sold the lot and building to Hamilton Smith , Jr for $481.99. On February 23, 1864 he sold it to Nicholas Wallot for $1150.00.

5. St Michaels School
(8th Street)

Constructed in 1915 with classes beginning in September of 1915.

6. St Michaels Parish Home
(8th Street)

The building was constructed in 1914 after St John School began sinking into coal mine tailings just up the hill from the present building.

7. St Michael Church
(corner of 8th & Washington )

On February 28, 1858 the Bishop of Vincennes approved construction of a church for use by the German speaking Catholic population in Cannelton. Foundation work was completed so that the cornerstone was laid on June 13, 1858. The first Mass was celebrated on June 19, 1859. The tower was completed by the end of September, 1860.

The church is constructed with finished sandstone blocks, quarried from nearby hills, on the exterior and interior walls. The church was remodeled in 1927, 1954, and 1977.

For more information "St Michaels on the Hill" by Michael Rutherford available at the Tell City Public Library.

8. Clemens Store
(currently Denmark International Imports)
(north corner of 7th & Washington )

On August 30, 1858 Peter Clemens purchased part of the lot from Francis Murphy. On February 9, 1859 he purchased the remainder of the lot. The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated on March 7, 1861 that "Mr Clemens is about to erect a substantial stone house in front of St. Michael Chruch on 7th Street". He completed a brick addition in 1875.

9. Hutchings Home

Eusebius Hutchings purchased Square "D" drom the Cannel Coal Company for $1469.00. He immediatly had 6 cottages erected for rent to mill and coal company employees. This is one of the few remaining house. (His son, John Bacon Hutchings, was to be the architect for the court house in 1896.)

10. Christian Kielhorn Building
(Currently Cornacopia Gift Shop)
(South corner of 7th and Washington )

Christian Kielhorn built the building in 1879 which is carved into the window lintel. In March of 1913 the Cannelton Telephone newspaper stated Gabe Schmuck is having a two-room brick addition made to the rear of his property. In it's time it has been used as a tavern, bakery, confectionery, restaurant, and retail store.

11. Brick Building
(613 Washington)

The building was Most likely built soon after a fire destroyed the entire block between 6th and 7th streets in 1867

12. Schmuck Building
( Currently the Castelbury Inn)
(615 Washington St)

"A.L. Bros. 1867" is carved on the front of the building. The tall narrow building was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the entire block between 6th and 7th streets. The Cannelton Telephone newspaper stated September 17, 1905 that " Gabe Schmuck is building a second story on his meat shop on Washington Street". The grocery and meat market was owned by the Schmuck family. Local lore holds that the building once housed sleeping rooms for cotton mill workers. Castlebury is the historical spelling of Casselberry, which is the name of a nearby creek.

13. Ms Marcrum's Grocery/ Jacob Rolands Store
(Currently offices of Dr Walker)
(607 Washington)

Italianate style built around 1890

14. Ramsey Grocery

Italianate style built around 1890. John Zimmerman had a grocery store in 1910 in the building. He was also the mayor three times and the postmaster, therefore the building was the location of the post office also.

15. Fred Heck Saloon
(Currently Mike's Bar & Grill)
(East corner of 6th and Washington, 601 Washington )

The Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated May 30, 1891 that "Fred Heck's new building is beginning to loom away up". F. W. Heck held the grand opening of his new saloon on June 27, 1891.

16. Old Community Building
(Currently used as a gymnasium)

Built in 1928 by Hafele Supply Company

17. Masonic Lodge
(Currently the Sarsapparilla Saloon)

The Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated February 20, 1892 that "Mrs. Marcum will build a three story business house on Sixth street opposite the court house".

18. Farquhar Brothers Saloon
(Currently the Pumper)
(South corner of 6th and Washington )

The Cannelton Telephone newspaper stated July 22, 1897 that "Farquhar brothers are having a new two-story frame building erected on their lot on 6th street opposite Jakie Heck's Saloon". Nich Scheidegger is to build the Farquhar building for $1117.00 as per the August 12, 1897 edition of the newspaper.

19. Conrad Dusch Building
(Currently the Childrens Exchange)
(511 Washington)

The June 7, 1866 edition of the Cannelton Reporter stated that "Conrad Dusch is about to erect a large and elegant brick store on Washington Street near 6th". The July 5, 1866 edition stated that " The new store of Conrad Dusch is rapidly approaching its completion". A liquor liscense was given on May 1, 1875

20. Commercial Building
(Currently Rosies Upholstery)
(503 Washington)

Italianate style building was built around 1870 to 1900. The building was occupied in the 1900's buy three tailors by the name of Phillip Arnold, Mike Keiser, and Tommy Truempy who was the mayor for a while. Phillip Arnold was a coronet player in the community band and died in 1943. The shop closed in the 1930's due to the old age of the tailors.

IGA Grocery store was on the first floor for a while in the 1930's. Dr Bush occupied the second floor in the 1920's.

21. August Heck Building
(Currently Iron Gate Pizza)
(516 Washington )

The front part was built around 1880, the back was added later. It housed a fine mens clothing store around 1900. Very fine custom tailored suits were made.

22- 27 Commercial Buildings

Built around 1880-1900, mostly in the Italianate style.

28. Josie Nicolay Building
(south corner of 6th and Adams)

Built around 1875.

29. Latimer/Danhauer House
(Adams Street)

Built sometime between 1865 and 1890. It is a Queen Anne and Greek Revival style.

30. Hanselman House
(122 N. 5th Street)

This Italianate style frame house was built around 1875. Mr & Mrs.Henry Hanselman purchased the house from Paul & Elizabeth Lehman May 4th, 1915. Mr Hanselman worked on the railroad. They raised a family and lived in the house until their death. One of their sons was a well know drummer in a local band.The house exchanged hands 13 times between 1944 and 1972, it was not lived in for 24 years. Renovations were completed in 1996.

31. Indiana Cotton Mill
National Historic Landmark

Once the largest industrial building west of the Alleghenies. The cornerstone was laid in May, 1849. It is one of the most impressive manufacturing structures of the pre Civil War period. The building cost $80,000 when it was built and over $175,000 worth of machinery was installed.

The mill structure faces the Ohio River, several hundred feet from the north bank. The building has 280 feet of frontage and is 60 feet deep. Most of the building is five stories, but is dwarfed by 100 feet high twin towers.

Cannelton was to rival Lowell, Mass. with several mills similar to this one. Hamilton Smith , who was one of the original planners of the mill, had visions of Cannelton leading the way in industrial development for the South and West. These hopes fell short due to poor attitude of the workers, a shortage of money, and an abundance of lime in the water.

The mill manufactured Union Army uniforms for the Civil War and war materials during both World Wars. The mill operated continuously from 1851 through 1954.

In the fall of 1990 it was listed as a National Historic Landmark.

The Brazee Family
Horatio D. and Dwight Newcomb
Rudd Family
James Coleman Ford
Ford-Huntington-Astor
Hamilton Smith-Rudd

32. Saint Lukes Church
National List of Historic Places

( 101 E 3rd Street )

The wooden structure was built by the American Cannel Coal Company in 1845 as a meeting house for all the residence of Cannelton. A Prayer Book service on Sunday, August 3, 1851 is the oldest worship service of record.

The original post and beam frame work building has a bell tower added to the front and two rooms and santuary added to the rear. The flat board mahogany pews are original and simple in style.

The bell at the top of the belfry was manufactured by the Kaye Bell Foundry of Louisville and installed in the tower about 1865. The bell came from the riverboat, Major Balbour, which sank in the Ohio River, near Cannelton, on February 3, 1848.

The three panels of stained glass windows behind the altar were made in England, circa 1800. They are held in place by handmade square nails. St Luke,s was placed on the National List of Historic Places in 1983.

The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated January 23, 1858 that " A neat stone wall has been put up on Washington Street to protect the Unitarian Church lot that for some time has been washing away."

33. Mason/Newcomb/Sulzer House
(109 S 3rd Street)

The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated August 1, 1867 that " Judge Charles Mason's foundation was laid this week". The November 28, 1868 edition stated that " Judge Mason is finishing his mansion, soon to be occupied."

Judge Charles Mason was influenced by Hamilton Smith to come to Cannelton. He drew up the petition to have the county seat moved to Cannelton from Rome.

In 1881, Dwight Newcomb bought the house. He clerked for years in the steamboating industry and died July 4, 1892. In 1892, Samuel Sulzer was the owner of the building. From 1924 to 1935 it was the K of C Home. Cannelton School Corp. bought it in 1935.

The two story brick originally had a porch eight feet wide extending along the front and both sides.

34. Cannelton High School

Built in 1922 by Hafele Supply Co.

35. Sulzer/Hafele House
(120 Third Street )

On May 27, 1873 Louise Sulzer bought the lot from Susan E Armstrong for $300.00. The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated " J.F. Sulzer's home on Third street is in an advanced condition". The September 20, 1873 edition stated " J.F. Sulzer has moved into his new residence on 3rd Street"

36. Rosenblatt/ James Lodge Building
(East corner of 3rd & Washington )

The Enquirer & Reporter newspaper stated May 23, 1878 that " On

Monday last, work was commenced on the new building known as Odd Fellows Hall". The July 4, 1878 edition stated " The corner stone was laid Monday." The October 24, 1878 edition stated "The Dedication of the new hall has been postponed to Friday the 29th of December, the anniversary of the Lodge." The January 2, 1879 edition stated that "The Odd Fellows Building is completed." The Cannelton Bank was located in the rear of the building in 1896.

37. Currently Bears Place
(205 Washington)

Michael Dusch purchased this lot in 1858, the original building burned. Michael drowned in Newburgh, IN on the Ohio River while mining coal. Fire destroyed the second building on this site in 1891. It was formerly the Central Hotel. The present building was erected shorly after the 1891 fire.

38. Currently Sams Tavern
(210 Washington)

39. Jeffrey's Building
(119 Washington, corner of 2nd & Washington)

John A Jeffrey purchased the lot from James Boyd November 26, 1866.He was a pharmacist from New Albany, he family owned Jeffrey's Cliff in Hancock County, KY.The Cannelton Reporter newspaper February 7, 1867 stated " J.A. Jeffrey plans to erect a 3-story building at 2nd and Washington- 24 x 60." The September 14, 1867 edition stated "Jacob Fais has purchased the drug stock of John A Jeffrey."

40. Sunlight Hotel
(currently being renovated)

The Hotel Co. voted to build the New Sunlight at 1st and Washington rather than at 4th & Washington according to the Cannelton Telephone newspaper Jun 8, 1928. The hotel was completed and dedicated on April 29, 1929.

41. Stables behind the Union Hotel
(Taylor Street)

The Cannelton Enquirer & Reporter newspaper stated September 30, 1880 that "Fire broke out in the Ernst Heck's stable last Friday. Wind saved the rest of the block". This building must have been built shortly after this fire.

42. Union Hotel
(2nd and Taylor)

It was built by Ernst Heck in 1871. The Cannelton Reporter stated October 4, 1877 that "Ernst Heck is adding another story to his residence on Taylor Street:. The Cannelton Enguirer & Reporter newspaper stated May 26, 1883 that "Ernst Heck is making extensive improvements about his house and grounds". The May 16, 1885 edition stated that "Ernst Heck has a new addition".

43. Virginia Place / Delahunt Residence
(2nd & Taylor)

On May 10, 1856 Joshua B. Huckaby purchased these two lots from R. Henry Gay of Boston for $1800.00 The Virginia Place was remodeled with a porch in April & May of 1962. A ghost reportedly lives in the house today.

44. Webb House
(East corner of Smith and Taylor)

Webb was a 20th century tenant. The April 26, 1877 Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated that " James A. Burkett contemplates the erection of a dwelling house on the lot he lately purchased on Taylor street near the post office". Burkett was a prominent bricklayer. The post office was a small building on the South corner of Church and Taylor Streets in the 1870s when the Huckabys were postmasters.

45. Cannel Coal Office
( 301 Taylor Street)

On March 21, 1853 the Coal Company sold the entire lot #135 between 3rd street and the alley to John L. Jones for $225.00. (Apparently, no buildings were erected on the lot until after March 1853.) On December 28, 1854 Jones sold 64 feet at the corner to Adam Schmuck for $600.00. Schmuck sold it to his sister on October 20, 1880 for $500.00. She sold it on September 20, 1881 to Frederick Diener for $1500.00. On October 30, 1905 Diener sold it to Thomas Truempy for $800.00

Presumably the house was built in the 1850's. The interior of this sandstone building is built differently than other buildings in town, it has a hallon one side of the building with all rooms entering offof it. There are no fireplaces as it was heated by stoves. The basement is of cut sandstone blocks with an arched ceiling. It has an entrance from the front and the rear. There is a subcellar under the floor of the basement.

Andy Schmuck operated a bakery here. By 1861, he opened a beer and wine cellar as well. The subcellar served as storage and cooler for the beverages.

There are local traditions that say during the civil war the subcellar served as a station of the underground railroad for runaway slaves.

46. Irvin's Store
( West corner of 4th and Taylor)

George Ernst built the front half of the stone building in early 1854.The August 23, 1877 edition of the Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated "George Ernst is erecting the largest building that has been put up in Cannelton for a number of years." He added the back half of the building. On March 26, 1892 he sold it to Misters Irvin.

47. Payne House
(South corner of 5th and Taylor)

Built by Robert Payne in 1874

48. Busam's Wallpaer Store
(north corner of 5th and Taylor)

The original building belonging to Patrick Shea burned in 1881. The Cannelton Enquirer & Reporter stated May 25, 1881 that "Patrick Shea will soon sit smiling and contented in a new brick cottage. He was a drayman and needed stables for his business. The October 6, 1881 edition of the newspaper stated "Patrick Shea continues to erect new buildings". John Jeffrey had a drug store in the building before he died in 1889

49. Hemphill House
(505 Taylor)

Built around 1870. Ed Hemphill lived in the house during the 1920, 30, and 40's He served as the sheriff and the postmaster. He shot himself in 1947.

50. Myers Grade School / The Free School
(corner of 6th & Taylor)

The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated January 9, 1869 that "The public school is about completed. It is to open Monday, January 18, 1869."

The Free School is thought to be the oldest school in Indiana - perhaps the United State - in continuous use.

In 1932 an Industrial Survey of the City of Cannelton had this to say about the already historic sixty-four year old structure:

The elementary building, although erected in 1868, is modern in every respect. The stairways, corridors, toilets, lighting, furnace, ventilation and natural light are all according to state regulations. When the building was first planned and erected considerable foresight was exercised for the wood could not be duplicated at this time, the arrangement of the rooms could not be improved as the size of the rooms is above standards at this time, and the playground could not be more ample. All in all it is a remarkable building with an interesting past and has many more years of useful service init for the children of Cannelton.

51. Jacob Heck Store

The iron work on the front is marked "Chas. D. Meyer, Louisville, KY, Architect". The original Jacob Heck Store opened for business September 28, 1882, and offered hardware and groceries.

52. Jacob Heck House
(Taylor Street)

Jacob Heck bought the Cannelton State Bank in 1896 and built the Jacob Heck Store.

53. Fred Hafele House
(606 Taylor next door to church parsonage)

Gable front style built about 1875.

54. St Johns United Church of Christ
(620 Taylor)

The brick church was built in 1890 and replaced a frame church of 1853. A bad storm knocked the steeple off and it was replaced about 1920.

55. Ernst Lehman House
(East corner of Taylor & Bry)

The October 20, 1889 edition of the Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated that "The two story house of Ernst Lehman is to be erected on Taylor Street by Mr. Henderson Huff".

56. City Park with Bandstand

The bandstand was built in 1931 or 2.

57. German Methodist Church
(Currently law offices of Norman Hay)
(East corner of 7th and Taylor)

It was built in 1855 as a German Methodist Church. It was converted into law offices in the1940s by Wm. Birchler.