Self-Guided Auto Tour - Red Route

RED ROUTE (80 Miles) 4 to 6 hours

Starting Point: Tell City, IN [MAP]

Sunset Park at Washington & 7th Street contains a painted mural on the flood wall. It was done in sections and took 3 years to paint ,1992-1994. The idea was conceived by Pat Jarboe the President of the Perry County Arts Councils during those years. It is a rendition of early days of Perry County, each building, boat and person has historical significance. Donations from private individuals, business, industry, and a grant from the Indiana Arts Commission made it possible. Artist Mona Sitzman and Lynn Dauby did the sketches on paper, Jeff Kast transfered the design on the wall, volunteers did the painting.

Ohio River Flood Markers are painted on the William Tell Woodcrafters Office Building on 345 Seventh Street depicting the actual levels of the water during floods.

The Tell City Historical Society is located in the old Post Office Building at 516 Main Street. It is open by appointment only. The Post Office was constructed in 1937.

Tell City Pretzel Co. was originally called the Gloor pretzel, then later Kesslers Tell City Pretzels and now Tell City Pretzel. The Gloor Pretzel was actually a sideline with the Gloor Bakery. Alex Kessler was an apprentice baker at Gloors. Kesslers Bakery specialized in baked breads and other sweets until it went into the baking of pretzels exclusively.

Tell Citys City Hall was built in 1898. The building was to be used as the countys Court House originally, but never was. There was a race between Cannelton & Tell City in 1898, whoever finished building their court house first would become the county seat of Perry County. Tell City finished before Cannelton by a day or two, but Cannelton stole the records as they were being moved from Rome and became the county seat.

The William Tell Statue was commissioned by August Corbin in honor of Tell Citys namesake as a gift to the city. Tell City National Bank gave the foundation to the city in honor of the banks 100th birthday.

Take SR 66 (West) to Troy:

The Nester House located on Water Street, was completed by John G Heinzle in 1853. The old native sandstone block building was first used as a grocery store with residence on the second floor, after Heinzles death in 1871, his widow, Elizabeth, married Jacob Nester in 1874 They operated it as a hotel and residence from 1886 and sold it in 1896. This may be the oldest building left in Troy. The current owners are calling their home "Riverplace".

The Christ of the Ohio Statue was carved and erected in 1954 as a donation of Dr. N.A. James of Tell City. At the time he owned a house on the site.

Fulton Hill has one of the best views in Perry County of the Ohio River. The new community center was recently completed.

St. Pius Church was built in 1881-1884. The work was supervised by Father Conrad Ackerman, O.S. B., who was assigned as pastor in May 1876. The steeple measures 142 ft tall, the walls are 18 inches thick, the tower walls are 38 inches thick on the first floor. The town clock in the tower is one of the few hand-wound clocks in the country.

Take SR 66 (West) past Troy to:

The Lincoln Ferry Park is the location of a ferry owned by James Taylor in 1826 which ran across the Anderson River. He hired none other than 17 yr. old Abe Lincoln to run the ferry. Abe lived fifteen or so miles from Troy. Abe built a rowboat to take passengers out into the Ohio so they could board passing steamboats. The Dill Brothers had been given exclusive rights to run a ferry across the Ohio. They claimed Abe was breaking a law and sued. Abe studied the law and pleaded his own first case He won since he had never ferried anyone all the way across the river.

Return to Troy on SR 66, turn left (North) on SR 545, travel about 1 mile past the Anderson River Bridge if desired, turn right onto CR 950N (Gravel Rd) for about a mile to: (no visible remenents remain)

John D. Williamson erected a water mill a short distance upstream from this little bridge in the early 1840s. Around 30-35 years later he sold it to Daniel B. Jones who operated it until shortly before his death in 1914. This was a popular picnic spot on Sunday for people from Tell City in the early years of this century. A 5 mile buggy ride, some fishing, some picnic lunch, some sparkling, and the 5 mile buggy ride home, probably the horse knowing part or all the way home.

Barger Bridge is named after Jacob Barger who owned land on both sides of the Anderson at this site. Some of his family are buried in the cemetery a half mile to the south in Spencer County.

Continue north on SR 545 for about 1 more mile if desired, turn right on CR 1075 for about 1 mile to: (no visible remenents remain)

In 1821 Davis Lincoln purchased land on both sides of the Anderson River at this site and erected a water mill. He was a second half-cousin of Abraham Lincoln, they had the same great grandfather, John Lincoln, but different great grandmothers. Davis Lincoln probably died from cholera on the Mississippi around 1825. His widow and family (his oldest son was 15 years old at the time) continued operating the mill. On June 16, 1840 a younger son, Austin, was murdered at the mill. The murderer was not identified. A great great granddaughter of Davis Lincoln, Catherine Grigsby Wolf, died on November 13, 1995.

Continue north on SR 545 through New Boston, turn right (East) on Huffman Rd. (CR 30) to:

A water-powered mill was built just upstream from Huffman Covered Bridge on the Spencer County side. Another water mill was torn down around 1910. A steam-powered mill was erected and ran for 15 years. The present bridge was built in 1864 under the supervision of William Washer of Troy.

Near the center of a field nearby was a four foot tall stone structure shaped like a horseshoe around 65 feet across. It was called Troxels Fort or Troxels Horseshoe. Some legends say it was built by a pirate from Jean Lafittes band around New Orleans around 1815, and had something to do with lead stolen from the mines at Galena, IL. Other legends feature its importance to horse thieves in the early 1880s in moving horses from Eastern Kentucky to west of the Mississippi.

Continue East on Huffman Rd. (CR 30) to:

Bristow: Alexander VanWinkle owned the site before 1850. Two early roads crossed here: The Rome-Jasper Road and the Boonville- Leavenworth Road. The VanWinkle family platted and sold lots to new residents in 1875. The new name comes from Thomas Newton Bristow. He came from Cannelton after 1870. A young daughter died there in 1872. By 1880 he was back in Cannelton.

The Bristow Milling Company flouring mill was built within a few years after 1875 and is still operating today.

SIDE TRIP: Take St. Meinrad-Bristow Rd (CR 154 & CR 152) West out of Bristow to SR 545. Turn right (North) on 545 to:

St. Meinrad Archabbey is one of only two archabbeys in the United States, one of seven in the world. It is the home of a Benedictine community of monks, who have committed their lives to prayer. Living by the instruction of communal life as set down by St. Benedict in the 6th century, contemporary monks have interpreted the wisdom of this Rule of St. Benedict to keep its value alive and applicable to a new generation of men.

Saint Meinrad was founded in 1854 by monks from the Swiss Abbey of Maria Einsiedeln. They came to Indiana at the request of a local priest, Fr. Joseph Kundek, who sought German-speaking monks to assist with ministry to the growing Roman Catholic population in the area. He also encouraged them to educate local men for the priesthood.

Nearly 145 years later, the Benedictine community of monks stands more than 135 men strong. In addition to their private prayer and spiritual reading, the monks gather four times a day in the majestic Archabbey Church to pray in community; guests are invited to join them. Their work includes the operation of a graduate-level School of Theology that continues to prepare men for the priesthood and, more recently, lay students for ministry to the Church or society.

The monks also operate Abbey Press, a manufacturing and marketing company of quality religious and inspirational products for Christian families nationwide. Additionally, the monks serve the Church by working in parishes in its home archdiocese, as well as other dioceses in the Midwest. And throughout the year, the monks offer a wide-ranging program of retreats, for groups and individuals, to help all experience a closer relationship with God.

Continue on SR 545 through St. Meinrad. Turn right (East) on SR 62 to Adyeville, turn right (South) to:

Troesch Steam Engine & Antique Museum featuring antique steam engines and antiques. Open most Sundays.

go back to SR 62, continue East to SR 145, turn right (South) back to Bristow.

at Bristow stay on 145 South a short distance to St. Isidore Rd (CR 32). Turn left (East) to:

Freemans Corner is a monument marking the southeast corner of the Vincennes Tract. On June 7, 1803 Indiana Governor Willliam Henry Harrison gained the Vincennes Tract (a sizable portion of northern Perry County) in a treaty with several tribes of Indians. Freemans Corner was named after Thomas Freeman who was in charge of surveying the tract in 1804. In August 1804 Harrison treatied for the remainder of Indiana along the Ohio between the Wabash and Clarksville. The monument was erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1938.

Continue through Apalona, Then East on Apalona Rd (CR 168) to Old Hwy. 37. Turn right (South), turn left (East) onto Branchville Rd (CR 40) to Branchville, turn right (South) onto Lancaster Rd. (CR 121), turn right (South onto Leopold-Oriole Rd. (CR 119) to:

Leopold had its beginning in 1838 with a 20x30 2-story log chapel, 2 residence rooms on the lower floor and a Catholic chapel on the second. On November 11, 1842 a 25-block plat of Leopold was recorded. A second log church was built in 1842-43. The post office was established in 1847. Most of the settlers were from Belgium, the towns name coming from King Leopold.

St. Augustine Church is dedicated to the patron saint of Father Augustus Bessonies, the founder of the church and town. The present stone church was built between 1866 and 1873.

continue south on Leopold Rd (CR 34), at Old Hwy. 37 turn left (South), Turn right (South) onto Locust Rd (CR 18) through Terry and past:

Saddle Lake is located in the Hoosier National Forest. It has a swimming beach, picnic sites, camping, and a boat ramp. The shore-line trail is a great place to see birds and other wildlife.

continue south on Azalea Rd (CR 16A) to SR 145, turn left (South) to:

St. Marks Catholic Church

Built from 1867-1869 under the direction of Father Morendt. They quarried the rock from a nearby quarry and moved it by oxen and sled. The Holy Mass of Christmas was the 1st mass said in the new church, April 25, 1869.

The Rome to Vincennes Trace ran along St. Marks Rd at St. Marks. It was a foot trail used frequently since before 1805

at St. Marks turn right (South) onto Acorn Rd (CR 12), turn right (South) onto Brushy Fork Rd (CR 11), continue back into Tell City at Hwy. 37.