Self-Guided Auto Tour - Black Route
BLACK ROUTE (80 miles) 4 to 6 hours
Starting Point: Cannelton, IN [MAP]
Cannelton Historic District includes a number of residential, commercial, public, and industrial buildings. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Cannelton traces its roots to 1837 with the formation of the Cannel Coal Co. The town was surveyed in 1844 and the name "Cannelton" was formally adopted. The towns prominence is reflected in its public buildings
Myers Grade School / the Free School on Taylor Street was built in 1868 with the first classes in January 1869. It has been in continuous use as an elementary school since then. A 2-story brick building stood on the back corner of the school lot as the Colored School from 1880s until it was discontinued in 1913. After that the colored school children rode the ferry boat to and from Hawesville every day in order to attend school.
Mason/ Newcomb/ Sulzer House on 3rd Street was built in 1868 by Judge Charles Mason. In 1881, Dwight Newcomb bought the house. He clerked for years in the steamboating industry. In 1892, Samuel Sulzer was the owner of the building. From 1924 to 1935 it was the K of C home.
Cannelton Cotton Mill on Washington Street was once the largest building west of the Alleghenies. It is made of hewn sandstone blocks that are three ft. wide. The building cost $80,000 when it was built in 1849- 1851. The mill is five stories with twin towers 100 ft tall and has 280 ft. of frontage by 60 ft. deep. The mill was the citys main industry for nearly 100 years. The mill has a very unique place in history; as it made uniforms for the Civil War as well as materials for both World Wars.
Perry County Old Courthouse Museum on 7th Street( SR 66) was built in 1896- 1897. Jacob Bacon Hutchings was the architect. It is made of yellow brick with Bedford limestone trim. The county seat was moved to Cannelton in 1859 till 1994.
St. Michaels Church on 8th Street was built in 1859. It is one of the remaining structures built with sandstone quarried from the nearby hills. The spire was added in 1860, it rises 156 ft and contains four bells. One weighs 1, 060 lbs. and the others weigh 623 lbs, 336 lbs, and 119 lbs.
St. Lukes Episcopal Church on 3rd Street was built by the American Canal Coal Co. in 1845. It is a wooden structure originally built as a meeting house for all the residents of Cannelton. Over the years it has served the Unitarians, Methodists, Roman Catholics as well as Episcopalians.
Take SR 66 (East) out of Cannelton to:
Cannelton Locks and Dams create a "lake" 114 miles long, stretching from Cannelton, IN to Louisville, KY. This uninterrupted stretch of water provides some of the most beautiful scenery for the boater.
Continue on SR 66 (East) to:
Lafayette Springs is the site of a ship wreck. The 67 year old Marquis de Lafayette of France, his son, and the former governor of Kentucky, Isaac Shelby were heading up river toward Louisville. Their vessel struck an underwater snag around midnight during a storm. The boat was sinking rapidly as the deckhands loaded the passengers into skiffs. They made it safely to the bank and spent the night at Lafayette Springs
Continue on SR 66 (East). At Rocky Point turn right (South) onto SR 166. Turn Left (East) onto Millstone Rd.
Air Crash Memorial Site, March 17, 1960. The Chicago, IL to Miami, FL Lockheed Electra carrying 57 passengers and a crew of 6 plunged into the earth killing all on board. The plane fell apart in - air as engine, wing, and plane parts were strewn over a two mile area in Perry County. The planes cruising speed was 406 mph and it is estimated that the plane was traveling nearly 66 mph as its fuselage plunged nose first into a bean field at Millstone, burying it 50 ft. into the earth.
Go back to SR 66 (East) through Tobinsport. Turn left (North) on Highwater Road (CR 1) to SR 66. Turn right (East) on SR 66. Turn left (North) onto German Ridge Rd:
The Rome to Vincennes Trace ran with highway 66 at German Ridge Rd. It was a foot trail used frequently since before 1805
German Ridge Recreational Area has swimming, picnicing and hiking.
Go back to SR 66 (East) to Rome:
Rome Courthouse was built in 1818-1819. The county seat was moved from Troy in 1818, Rome served as the county seat until 1859.
Continue on SR 66 (East) another 3 miles to:
|Hines Crossing marker is the location Captain Thomas Hines and 62 members of a raiding party crossed into Indiana June 17, 1863. They were on their way to a meeting in Paoli with Southern sympathizers. In Perry County they exchanged their worn out horses for fresh horses with the farmers. They also appropriated cattle, hogs and chickens for food. They barely escaped to Kentucky a few days later, then rejoined Gen. John Hunt Morgan in his famous raid through Corydon on July 7.
Continue on SR 66 (East) another half mile to:
Nancy Alice Martin was a trapeze artist between 1905 and 1925 using the stage name Alice DiGarmo. She returned home to this farm after her fathers death in 1929. On January 25, 1934 a drunken Ernest Wright argued with her over $2.75 in pay, finally murdering her. He buried her body in the barnyard where it was discovered on February 2. She is buried in the Lower Cummings Cemetery around 2 miles to the north. Wright was sentenced to prison where he later died.
Continue on SR 66 (East) to:
Derby was settled in 1820 by 3 families, then platted in 1835 and named for a village in Ireland. For the next 80 years it was a shipping port for farm produce and livestock, railroad ties, and hoop poles. In August 1893 much of the town burned but most was quickly rebuilt.
Continue on SR 66 (East) for another half mile to:
The largest log house with two chimneys is made of two original log buildings: The Springer House from east of Dexter, and a building from near St. Mark. They were dismantled, moved and rebuilt on this site in 1991.
Continue on SR 66 (East) through Dexter. Turn Right (East) onto Dexter-Magnet Rd.(CR 27) all the way to Magnet.
SIDE TRIP: Turn right on Unison Rd (CR 146) and around to the left to Parks Rd (CR 36) to:
Ten Civil War grave markers are located at this site. On August 14, 1865, four months after the close of the Civil War, Union soldiers from Ohio boarded the USS Argosy #3 and started home. On August 21 a storm drove the Argosy ashore at this point and the boilers exploded. Nine or ten men were killed. Bert Fenn a local historian found information which suggested that one of the ten said to have been buried here actually lived until reaching Louisville where he died.
Continue on Parks Rd(CR 36) to:
Magnet was first called Dodsons Landing in 1820 after John Dodson who operated a woodyard for steamboats. In the 1830s Jess Martin tookover the woodyard and it then became Martins Landing. He owned a widely regarded coon-dog named Rono. When the dog died it was buried near the center of the docking area. The Job Hatfield family arrived with a store boat around 1842. He became the post master when the post office opened on July 29, 1857, it was named Rono. On February 24, 1899 the name was changed to Magnet; the office was closed in early 1990s.
Continue through Magnet (North) on Dexter-Magnet Rd (CR 27), on the right is:
In 1857 the Hatfields built a stone building which was used as a smoke house in which they processed meat for sale on a commercial scale. This continued into the mid- 1870s. The foundation for this structure is the foundation for this house on the North end of Magnet.
Continue up the hill on Dexter-Magnet Rd. (CR 27)
Slaughtering the animals for smoking left nearly half of the carcass as offal. When this thawed and ripened in the early spring a large colony of buzzards arrived for the feast. Thus the origin for the name, Buzzards' Roost, for the hill north of Magnet.
Continue down to the bottom of the hill:
A few hundred yards from here on the right was Galeys Landing. It was an important shipping port for many years.
In 1858 there lived a man and his four sons named Prater a quarter mile from the river on the left. Today there is a pile of foundation stones with some of them laid in a straight line, and the Prather spring is still flowing. They were horse thieves. The sons went out to nearby states and stole fine horses, then brought them back to old man Prather. Everybody said old man Prather was a good judge of horse flesh. They kept the animals in a rocky canyon which came to be called Penitentiary Rock until ready to sell them. They were sold in distant states for gold only. Eventually, the law caught up with them. They were tried in the Perry County Circuit Court, convicted and taken to the penitentiary at Jeffersonville. All died in prison except one son, who when released, came back and dug up a chest full of the gold. He left in a skiff at Galeys Landing.
Continue North on Dexter Magnet Rd (CR 27), North on Onido Rd (CR 182)., turn left on SR 66 (West) to Mt Pleasant, turn right (West) onto Leopold Rd (CR 34)to:
Leopold had its beginning in 1838 with a 20x30 2-story log chapel, 2 residence rooms on the lower floor and a Catholic chapel on the second. On November 11, 1842 a 25-block plat of Leopold was recorded. A second log church was built in 1842-43. The post office was established in 1847. Most of the settlers were from Belgium, the towns name coming from King Leopold.
St. Augustine Church is dedicated to the patron saint of Father Augustus Bessonies, the founder of the church and town. The present stone church was built between 1866 and 1873.
Continue west on Leopold Rd (CR 34), turn left (South) onto Old Highway 37, turn left (East) on Hwy 70, turn right (South) immediately onto Tiger Rd (CR 21), turn left (South) onto Gerald Rd (CR 10), onto Deer Creek Rd (CR 5)., turn right (West) onto SR 66 at Rocky Point and back to Cannelton.