HAMILTON SMITH - RUDD


Louise Elizabeth Rudd Smith was the second of the Rudd family to locate in Cannelton. She had married widower Hamilton Smith who was 20 years her senior in Louisville in 1846. The Smith family settled into the second floor of the company hotel at Front and Adams Streets in December 1851. Their second-floor covered balcony which extended nearly the length of the Front Street wing of the building survived until the building was razed after the 1937 flood.

Two step-children and three children of Louise Smith made up the Smith family at this time. Five more children were born to them at Cannelton by March 1864, 3 of them dying in infancy. During her 22 years at Cannelton she was active in civic and social affairs, often taking charge of fund-raisers for churches, schools and other charities, and participating in local musical and dramatic presentations.

As pointed out earlier, Hamilton Smith was surely the single most important individual responsible for the establishment and development of Cannelton into a self-sustaining community. In establishing the Cotton Mill at great financial loss to himself, then as active president of the American Cannel Coal Company for 18 years he arranged every type of assistance possible so that men like Dwight Newcomb could develop the Mill and the coal mines to a prosperous state. He also hastened the movement away from the status of "company town" in encouraging laboring men and women to own their homes.

Hamilton Smith was born in Durham, Strafford County, NH, on 19 September 1804, a son of Judge Valentine (26 May 177l-2 March 1869) and Mary Joy Smith (8 Oct. 1785-10 Sept. 1810). The Smith home in New Hampshire had been built in 1736 and was still in the possession of Hamilton Smith's grandson, Griswold Smith, in 1915. These Smiths are reported to be direct descendants of a brother of Captain John Smith and of Massachusetts governors John Winthrop and Thomas Dudley.

In 1825 at the age of 21 Hamilton Smith enrolled at Dartmouth College and graduated summa cum laude in 1829. He became a friend of Salmon P. Chase, 4 years his junior, while at Dartmouth. Chase later was an incorporator of the Cannelton Cotton Mill in 1848, Secretary of the Treasury in Lincoln's Civil War Cabinet and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 1864-1873.

Upon graduating Hamilton Smith lived in Washington, D.C., for 3 years reading law with the celebrated attorneys, Levi Woodbury and William Wirt. These attorneys practiced before the Supreme Court. Smith became acquainted with the Washington legal circle including long-time Supreme Court justice, Joseph Story.

On 16 August 1932 he married Martha Hall (b. 1810), daughter of William Hall of Bellows Falls, VT. They settled in Louisville, KY, where he developed an extensive and lucrative law practice; one year his income was reported to have been $30,000. He built a substantial home on the Bardstown Road on an estate named "Villula."

During the years until the death of Martha Hall Smith on 5 July 1845 there were seven children born to them, only two surviving infancy and childhood: Marcia Hall (16 August 1833-4 September 1833), Lucia Hall (30 November 1834-12 July 1835), Martha Hall (23 June 1836-14 August 1914), Emm Fleming (24 August 1838-15 October 1842), Hamilton, Jr. (5 July 1840-4 July 1900), William Hall (4 August 1842-26 May

1844), and Evelyn (2 June 1844-5 October 1844).

On 20 May 1846 42-year-old Hamilton Smith married 20-year-old Louise Elizabeth Rudd(b. 1 August 1824, Springfield, KY). Three of their eight children were born at Villula: Huntington (15 March 1847), Ballard (20 September 1849), and Joseph Palmer (14 September 1850). The remaining five were born at Cannelton, three of them dying in infancy: Louise (25 February 1853-9 March 1854), Mary Fitzhugh (2 December 1855-15 November 1857), Mary Belknap (17 February 1859), Christopher Rudd (9 January 1863-17 January 1897), and Valentine Thomas (29 February 1864-28 July 1865).

Hamilton Smith's eldest daughter, Martha Hall, named after her mother, at the age of 20 married Alfred Hennen (16 August 1821-1 January 1890), 15 years her senior, at Cannelton on 16 January 1856. For more than a year Hennen worked for his brotherin-law, Col. James Jennings, at developing coal mines upstream from Hawesville. On 21 October 1856 their eldest daughter, Louise, was born in Hancock County. In 1857 this Hennen family moved to the family plantation of 5,000 acres, "The Retreat," northeast of Hammond, LA, near New Orleans. This plantation had been developed by Alfred Hennen, Sr., from 1824; it was lost through insolvency caused by the loss of the Civil War to his son-in-law, John A. Morris. Alfred Hennen, Jr., served in the Confederate Army from early 1863 to after April 1865 but was not engaged in any fighting.

Four children were born to them at The Retreat. In September 1865 Martha returned to Cannelton with their five children, Alfred joining them a short while later. For a brief time they attempted farming near Hawesville but were back in Cannelton by 1868. Alfred was named supervisor of the American Cannel Coal Company mines at Rock Island until after 1871. He left that pursuit and took on the agency for an insurance company with the Coal Company as the largest policy holder. With the financial assistance of her father Martha Smith Hernnen in 1872 purchased a 15-room mansion in Hawesville, "Fern Cliff." Alfred Hennen then developed the capacity for consuming a quart of whiskey at a Hawesville saloon and then walking home like a sober gentleman. Martha operated her husband's insurance business and later owned some steam towboats on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers until after the turn of the century.

Martha and Alfred Hennen were parents of ten children.

1). Louise Hennen (21 October 1856) on 1 December 1879 married Henry C. Boyd (b. 1853), son of Hawesville saloon keeper Alexander and Bell Boyd. In 1880 he was listed as a drygoods merchant and the couple were residing with her parents. A daughter, Isobel Bruce, was born there on 8 January 1880. They moved to Montclair, NJ, where Louise died on 26 July 1896. Isobel married Charles J. Marsch in New York City around 1905; they had three children: Louise Hennen Marsch (July 1907), Carroll B. Marsch (July 1911), and Charles Marsch (1917), all born in Montclair.

2). Effie Hennen (16 May 1858) was the first of the four children to be born at The Retreat. On 8 June 1882 at Fern Cliff she married Silas Bannister. Three sons were born to them at Hawesville: Alfred Hennen Bannister (7 February 1883?), Lemuel Bannister (19 September 1885?), and Morris Bannister (17 January 1887?). The family moved to Peekskill, NJ, soon after the birth of the youngest; Silas Bannister died shortly after. After residing in Hawesville for a time she returned to Peekskill with her sons and married Al J. Mason. There were no children in this marriage. Effie died there on 16 June 1933. There are descendants through Lemuel and Morris.

3). James Jennings Hemen (1 February 1860) was named after Col. James Jennings who had married Alfred Hennen's sister, Catherine Sharpe Hennen. He and his younger brother, Hamilton Hennen, never married and spent their lives on and near the river building small river towboats and smaller craft. The "James J. Hennen" was owned by him for a short time in the 1930s. The brothers' last years were spent in Venice, LA, hiring out as guides for hunting and fishing in the lower Mississippi River. James died there in December 1944 and was buried at Hawesville.

4). Sarah Elizabeth Hennen (1 March 1862) on 16 November 1885 married Robert Lewis Klum at Fern Cliff. They resided in Indianapolis, IN, where Robert had an insurance business. Sarah died 26 July 1902 at Fern Cliff; Robert died several years later in an insane asylum. They had no children.

5). Alfred Hennen III (18 April 1864) on 20 June 1887 married Emma H. Powers (11 March 1865), daughter of Stephen and Susan Powers of Hawesville. They first resided in Cloverport but by 1900 he was a representative of the Cincinnati Coal Company in Cannelton. By 1905 they were residing in Cincinnati. Most of their adult lives were spent in Louisiana where he was associated with the Hyde-Hennen Cooperage Company and, later, with the Hyde Lumber Company. He died in Monroe, LA, on 13 February 1938; Emma continued to reside there as a semi-invalid until her death on 21 June 1950. Both are buried at Hawesville.

6). Martha Hall Hemen (13 April 1866) was born at Cannelton on the second floor of the Coal Company Hotel where Hamilton and Louise Smith maintained residence. On 21 December 1891 she married George W. Newman (1866-3 April 1947), son of Albert and Josephine McAdams Newman of Hawesville. He and his brother, Albert, Jr., were in business at Irvington, KY, for some years. The George Newmans returned to Hawesville where he was a captain on Hemen towboats around 1905. He then operated coal mines in the region. He was elected County Judge several times. They were parents of five children: A). Elizabeth Newman (12 January 1893) on 16 June 1920 married Frank Irwin Stannard of Cincinnati; two children. B). Martha Hall Newman (8 September 1894) on 3 June 1919 married Webster Whitehall Belden of New York City; three children. C). Josephine Newman (12 October 1896) on 12 August 1922 married Lewis Ernest Osborn of Cincinnati; no children. Josephine died in January 1977. D). George W. Newman (9 May 1904) on 31 October 1927 married Helen James of Berea, KY; no children. He died in the 1980s at Culpepper, VA. E). Frances Louise (19 March 1906) on 3 March 1928 married William Gillette Wells. In 1948 she married Edwin Montague of Washington, DC; no children. She died in the winter of 1979.

Martha Hall Hennen Newman died in Hawesville on 11 January 1914. George married Nettie Phillips; no children. He died in Hawesville on 3 April 1947. Martha and George Newman were buried at Hawesville.

7). Anna Maria Davidson Hennen (6 March 1870) was born in Cannelton and was named after Alfred Hennen's mother. On 29 October 1901 she married Frederick Brace Whitlock. They resided in Indianapolis where she died on 8(18) April 1908; no children. She was buried at Hawesville.

9). Sylvester Larned Hennen (13 January 1872) was born in Cannelton and died at Fern Cliff on 24 November 1873 when a bottle of lye was mistaken for a bottle of milk. He was named after a brother of Alfred Hemen.

10). Frances Hall Hennen (4 November 1873) was the only child of the Hemens to be born at Fern Cliff. On 2 October 1906 she married John Pope McAdams (9 June 1872, Hawesville), son of Eugene P. and Mary Elizabeth Pope McAdams. They resided at Louisville for around 8 years where their children were born: A). Martha Hall McAdams (1 October 1907) on 8 July 1936 married Lt. Howard Homer Ruppart (9 June 1902-29 June 1989), son of Claude and Hattie Homer Ruppart; no children. B). John Pope McAdams (29 April 1912-14 August 1918). C). Alfred Hennen McAdams (1 November 1914) on 11 July 1942 married June Virga (18 June 1922), daughter of Joseph and Gladys Virga of Washington, DC; there are four children. D). Eugene Pope McAdams (27 July 1916, Fern Cliff) on 28 November married Mary Virginia Miller (8 August 1919), daughter of Dr. Sylvester and Pearl Miller of Baltimore, MD. Three children: John Pope McAdams (5 June 1949, Philadelphia, PA), Mary Jean McAdams (12 March 1952, Woodbury, NJ), Laurie Anne McAdams (16 August 1955, Woodbury, NJ). In 1990 Eugene Pope McAdams published A McADAMS FAMILY HISTORY; with his permission much of the information has been incorporated into this sketch.

Mrs. Martha Hall Smith Hennen died at Montclair, NJ, at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Isobel Bruce Marsch, daughter of Henry and Louise Hennen Boyd. She had been visiting there when a previously existing heart condition finally caused her death. She was buried in Hawesville Cemetery on 22 August 1914 beside her husband.

Fern Cliff was continued and maintained as a summer residence by John Pope and Frances Hennen McAdams except for the period of World War II when they were there year round. In July 1949 Dr. Thomas P. Martin from the Library of Congress visited Fern Cliff to examine letters and papers of Hamilton Smith in connection with his writing a book, HAMILTON SMITH'S VISION. Of course, that vision was imperfectly realized in Cannelton. Whether the projected book came to light is not known. The Smith papers were donated to the Lilly Library at Bloomington, IN, in 1950 and 1951 where they are now preserved.

After the death of Brigadier-General John Pope McAdams on 11 March 1960 at Portsmouth, VA, Fern Cliff was closed as the family residence on Labor Day 1960. Frances Hennen McAdams died on 31 January 1973 at Newport News, VA, and was buried in Hawesville Cemetery.

The other surviving child of Martha Hall and Hamilton Smith, Hamilton, Jr., in 1846 at the age of 6 returned to Durham, NH, and lived with his grandfather, Judge Valentine Smith, for 7 years. In 1853, when he was 13, he rejoined the family in Cannelton and began learning the fine points of mine engineering and operation. In the early 1860s he surveyed a mine adit from the north side of Sulphur Spring Hill opposite one already opened from the south side in 1857 so accurately that the two shafts met with only a few inches of variance. During the 1860s he engineered mining operations in both Perry and Hancock Counties.

In 1869 he became chief engineer and manager of the Triunfo Mine near the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula (Lower California) in Mexico. Since he is listed in Cannelton in the 1870 census, it is presumed that he had returned home. From 1871 through 1880 he was at mines at North Bloomfield and Milton in Nevada County, California, around 140 miles northeast of San Francisco. A local rumor had it that Owen Tevlin intended to go to North Bloomfield on 30 August 1973 to work for Hamilton Smith, Jr.; either he did not go or he did not long remain. While at these mines Smith pioneered the use of hydraulic power in gold mining. He later (1886) published a treatise on this large-scale environmentally destructive method of gold mining.

From 1881 through 1884 he was in Venezuela as superintendent of the El Callas gold mine of the Rothschild Banking house of London. He was in San Francisco in August 1882 with his mother and sister, Mary Belknap, where they signed a bill of sale for the remaining Smith holdings in the American Cannel Coal Company.

In 1885 he opened a consulting office in London -- Exploration Co., Ltd. -- in partnership with Edmund de Crano. In addition to the treatise on hydraulics, he

also published in 1886 an article on "Costs of Gold Mining" in ENGINEERING AND MINING JOURNAL.

Also in 1886 he married Mrs. Charles Congreve, born Alice Jennings, from New Orleans. She was a daughter of Needler R. Jennings, brother of Col. James Jennings, and Anna Maria Hennen Jennings, sister of Alfred Hennen. (Sisters Anna and Catherine Hennen married brothers Needler and James Jennings; brother Alfred Hennen married the elder sister of Hamilton Smith, Jr. Thus, Alice Jennings Congreve Smith was a niece by marriage of Martha Smith Hennen.)

During 1892-1895 Hamilton Smith, Jr., visited South African gold mines of the Rothschilds. He is reported to have been paid $100,000 per year at this time. His partner, Edmund de Crano, died in 1895. With H. C. Perkins as partner he established offices in New York, traveling to distant mines when required.

In the summer of 1900 he was vacationing at the Smith family estate at Durham NH. On 4 July he drowned accidentally, one day before his 60th birthday.

Less is known of the Smith-Rudd family than of the Smith-Hall family. As will be seen their given names memorialized relatives and in-laws in both lines of the family. The eldest, Huntington Smith (15 March 1847) married Laura Griswold of Terre Haute. Whether she was of the Griswold family which owned stock in the Coal Company is not known; she was a cousin of author Booth Tarkington. In 1882 they were residing in St. Louis, MO. Mrs. Laura Smith died at the Smith estate in New Hampshire in August 1904, leaving 4 sons: Griswold, Hamilton, Ralph, and Huntington, Jr. The first-named owned the New Hampshire homestead in 1915.

Ballard Smith (20 September 1849) was named after a younger brother of Hamilton Smith, of whom more later. In July 1870 he graduated from Dartmouth College at the age of 21. "He was managing editor of the Louisville Courier in the early seventies. In 1875 he left to take charge of the Louisville Ledger, an opposition paper. When the Ledger died he went to New York and found employment on the Herald. He served that paper as staff correspondent as various points and finally went over to the World, doing similar work. For the past few years he was located in London," being there in March 1897. "Overwork brought about mental decay which resulted in his death." Ballard Smith died on Tuesday, 31 July 1900, in an asylum in New Hampshire. This was just 4 weeks after the death of his older half-brother, Hamilton Smith, Jr.

Joseph Palmer Smith (14 September 1851) was named after Louise Smith's mother's family . Other than that he was in New York in 1882 when the previously mentioned bill of sale was signed, nothing further is known.

Two daughters, Louise (25 February 1853 - 9 March 1854) and Mary Fitzhugh (2 December 1855 - 15 November 1857) are buried in the Smith vault in Cliff Cemetery. The latter's namesake was Louise's deceased sister, Susan Mary Huntington, as in her first marriage, Mrs. Mary Fitzhugh. A third daughter, Mary Belknap Smith (17 February 1859) was with her mother in San Francisco in 1882. She later married Henry Janin and maintained a country home hear Durham, NH.

Christopher Rudd Smith (9 January 1863 - 17 January 1897), named after his

maternal grandfather, was in New York by 1882. At his death ("caused by asphyxiation") he "was one of the telegraph editors on the (NY) Journal." His body was returned to the Cliff Cemetery vault.

 

The youngest child of Louise and Hamilton Smith, Valentine Thomas Smith (29 February 1864 - 28 July 1865) was named after Hamilton Smith's father and brother.

 

On the Smith Vault in Cliff Cemetery are two metal plates listing the names and dates for most of Hamilton Smith's family. Missing are Maria Hall Smith, Lucia Hall Smith, Martha Hall Smith Hennen, and Hamilton Smith, Jr., born in his first marriage. From his second marriage the following are omitted: Huntington Smith, Ballard Smith, Joseph Palmer Smith, and Mary Belknap Smith Janin. Whether all those who are listed are buried in the vault is not certain. If they are, the bodies of those who died before the Smith family moved to Cannelton in December 1851 -- Martha Hall Smith, Emma Flemming Smith, William Hall Smith and Evelyn Smith- -would have been moved from Louisville while those of the two first born there were not. It is most likely that the plates were made and installed on the vault shortly after the death and burial of Louise Rudd Smith by Martha Smith Hennen; she may not have known of the first two of her sisters.

How many brothers and sisters of Hamilton Smith, Sr., there are is not known. Four brothers have been mentioned: Ballard, Thomas M.,, Edward, and William. One sister who died in the 1820s or '30s named Lucia has been mentioned. Ballard, Thomas and Edward are said to have been involved in the early settlement of Cannelton. Thomas was an attorney living at Washington, DC, at least part of the time. He held stock in the Coal Company and the Cotton Mill and purchased several tracts of land in west-central Perry County.

Ballard Smith (1824-3 October 1866) was named after his mother, Elizabeth Ballard Smith 1804 - after 1869), daughter of Joseph Ballard, the second wife of Valentine Smith; thus, he and Hamilton were half-brothers. After graduating from Dartmouth College in the mid-1840s he was at Louisville in business with Hamilton. He came to Cannelton before 1853. He was elected one of the town trustees for 1854. In January 1854 he was a member of the first Cliff Cemetery Association. He was elected to the State House of Representatives for the 1855-56 term.

During 1857-58 he had a stone building erected at present First and Hafele Streets for use as a cotton carpet yarn factory; this failed. In the winter of 1861-62 the building was used as quarters for the short-lived 62nd Battalion Regiment; it soon was merged with the 53rd Regiment. In the spring of 1862 the Clark Brothers leased the building and used it for a year while commencing their pottery and tile factory. Samuel T. Platt, later to be Canneltons first mayor, tried without success to operate a shoddy batting factory there. James R. Bunce used it briefly as a successful chair factory in 1872-75. The building was last used as a barn by John Heck and his son, Milton. It was razed to make way for the bridge in the early 1960s.

In 1858 and 1859 Ballard Smith organized a Sunday school in the newly established St. Lukes Episcopal Church.

 

During his first 5 or 6 years at Cannelton he had purchased several tracts of land in outlying Perry County. One of these consisting of 480 acres he sold to the Swiss Colonization Society in 1857 for $5,700.

In late 1857 William E. Niblack resigned as Judge of the Third Judicial Circuit which at the time included Warrick, Spencer, and Perry Counties. In November 1857 Ballard Smith was commissioned as his successor by Governor Ashbel R. Willard. In History of Warrick County the Goodspeed staff seemed to echo a widely held view of Ballard Smith: "He was perhaps the most polished man that has ever been upon the Warrick bench." In History of Perry County Weston A. Goodspeed wrote: "Ballard Smith possessed high moral qualities. He was tall and dark, pleasant and magnetic, and as a citizen enjoyed the highest esteem. His knowledge of the law and of general literature as well, was comprehensive, luminous and profound."

Ballard Smith did not run for election to the office in the following year. M. F. Burke of Daviess County was elected to the 6-year term and took office in February 1859. (He died near the end of the term on 22 May 1864.) On 23 May 1859 Judge Burke appointed Ballard Smith as temporary prosecuting attorney for one day in the Prather horse-stealing trial at Rome.

Ballard Smith was a member of the ad hoc committee that was appointed and functioned during the notorious public meeting at Mozart Hall on 1 January 1861 "to consider the state of the Union." Their 6 resolutions concluded with this hotly debated proposition: ". . . if a line is to be drawn between the North and the South that line shall be found north of us." Ballard Smith and newspaper editor J. B. Maynard were among those favoring it, Charles H. Mason, J. B. Huckeby and H. P. Brazee among those against. By the following summer Maynard had come around to view supporting the union over the Southern rebellion . Smiths later views are not known.

In 1861 ( in the aftermath of his New Years resolutions?) he relocated to Terre Haute where he became a leading member of the bar. He died there from typhoid fever on 3 October 1866 at the age of 42. His will listed widow Mary E. Smith and Mary C. Smith as sole heirs.

From the beginning of his residence in 1833 at Villula near Louisville, Hamilton Smith took a deep interest in the business and social resources and possibilities of the Ohio River Valley. As noted in Chapter III, p. 45-47, although possessing no practical experience in manufacturing processes, he made himself thoroughly acquainted with every aspect of the coal and cotton industries through reading and through correspondence with those who did possess practical experience and knowledge. During his lifetime he amassed a library of more than 5,000 volumes of classical and contemporary literature, statistical data, manufacturing processes and even on angling for fish.

As early as 30 December 1837 he was one of 89 co-signers with the 11 stockholders of the Indiana Pottery Company at Troy on a petition to Congress for an award of 10 sections (6,400 acres) of clay-bearing land in Indiana, Illinois and Missouri. His active participation in the American Cannel Coal Company began in 1840 with the modest acquisition of 12 shares. From the mid-1840s he gradually assumed more importance in the company until the directors' meetings were held in his office at Louisville. As noted in Chapter III he began publishing results of his years of research into the coal and cotton industries around 1847. The chartering of the Cannelton Cotton Mill on 25 February 1848 and its construction between May 1849 and January 1850 were the direct consequences of his planning and organizing.

Within 2 weeks from 1 May 1850 Hamilton Smith prepared a 110-page booklet of his own essays and of others along with testimonials from engineers, geologists and chemists extolling Cannelton's "Natural Advantages as a site for Manufacturing." The Coal Company published and circulated it as a means of promoting the growth of industry at Cannelton.

From what we know of the circumstances it might appear that the removal of Hamilton Smith and his family to Cannelton in December 1851 was strangely timed. In early September the Mill, of which he was President, was leased to the Newcomb Brothers of Louisville. This effectively took Smith out of any direct control in the daily operation. But immediately, on 27 September, The Economist announced: "Hamilton Smith, President of the Cannelton Cotton Mill, is about to remove from Louisville and take residence at our place."

He was not to become President of the Coal Company until 1854. However, he did act as agent for the company before that year. He certainly had great plans and hopes for the future of Cannelton's two basic industries to justify leaving the lucrative law practice he had developed in Louisville. "He put his money where his mouth was."

In 1856 he wrote a thorough review of the coal and cotton industries along the Ohio River and around Cannelton. It was published in 32 pages by the Indiana State Board of Agriculture in 1858. Much of the article was quoted in 1872 in the Geological Report of E. T. Cox and was cited as a reference in 1898 in the Geological Report of W. S. Blatchley. In this 1856 article he reported that the Coal Company, after a total investment of over $600,000 since 1836, was finally beginning to make ends meet.

On 12 October 1858 Hamilton Smith was elected to succeed his brother Ballard Smith in the State House of Representatives. On 13 December 1858 during a special session called by Governor Willard he introduced legislation supplementary to an Act of 2 March 1855 which simplified the procedure for relocating county seats. The legislation became law on 22 December clearing the way for removing the Perry County seat from Rome to Cannelton during the following year. Local agitation for this removal had begun immediately following the adoption of the second State Constitution on 1 November 1851.

Hamilton Smith was widely acquainted with men of nationwide reputation, among his correspondents being Charles I. Battell, Salmon P. Chase, John J. Crittenden, Charles B. Dana, James D. B. DeBow, Millard Fillmore, David Dale and Robert Dale Owen, Rev. Leonidas Polk, Bishop Martin John Spalding along with many others of contemporary note. In 1864 he attended the Democratic Party National Convention at Chicago which nominated General George McClellan to run against Lincoln.

There are many casual references to Hamilton Smith's interest in and concern for the well-being of the individual citizen in Cannelton; this interest and concern was returned by most of the citizens. The previous reference to Owen Tevlin, a mine boss from the mid-1850s to after 1900, is one such example. Another example of Smith's concern was his donating through the Coal Company of 50 bushels of coal to each local church each winter.

On 14 June 1873 the Cannelton Reporter carried the news of the resignation of Hamilton Smith as President of the Coal Company. He departed for Washington, D.C., on Thursday, 9 October 1873. According to DeLaHunt Smith was making plans in early 1875 to return to Cannelton residence. On Sunday, 7 February 1875, he died suddenly at the age of 70. His funeral from St. Luke's Church was to be one month later on 7 March but a freak snow storm delayed it to the next day. In the long procession to the Smith vault in Cliff Cemetery Owen Tevlin led Smith's favorite horse, "Preacher," pulling his favorite phaeton.

By 22 August 1882 Louise Smith and her children and step-children had disposed of most of their holdings in Perry County. On this date they transferred the balance of their title, interest, common and preferred stock in the Coal Company to S. A. Hartwell of Louisville. The notarized affidavits to their signatures locate their respective whereabouts in that summer: Louise, Mary B., and Hamilton, Jr. in San Francisco; Palmer, Ballard and Rudd in New York City; Huntington and his wife in St. Louis; Martha and Alfred Hennen in Hawesville.

The death notice for Mrs. Louise Smith was printed in the Louisville Courier Journal on Monday, 23 January 1899:

HOSTESS OF "VILLULA" DEAD

Close of the Life of Mrs. Louise Rudd-Smith

Once a Noted Beauty

"Mrs. Louise Rudd-Smith, well-known in Louisville society, died early yesterday morning at the country seat of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Janin, near Durham, NH. Mrs. Smith was the widow of Hamilton Smith, one of Kentucky's most talented lawyers in ante-bellum days, who afterward removed to Cannelton, Ind., where he was for many years President of the American Cannel Coal Company.

As Miss Louise Rudd, Mrs. Smith was a noted beauty, closely related to the Caldwells, Palmers, Flemmings, Popes and other prominent families, and her home at Villula was the center of a brilliant circle. Since her husband's death she removed from Cannelton and passed much of her time with her children in Washington, New York and Europe. Her remains will be interred at Cannelton Thursday morning."

A Cannelton notice repeated in the Tell City News on 4 February corrects the time of burial: "The body of the late Mrs. Hamilton Smith was brought to Cannelton Friday night via the Texas Railroad" (through Hawesville) "from the east." She was buried in the family vault in Cliff Cemetery.