SCHMUCK FAMILY


According to Thomas J. DeLaHunt, writing in 1915 (p .p. 298-299), the family of Adam and Elizabeth Klein Schmuck left Rhenish Prussia in 1848 arid settled at Pittsburgh, PA for two years. On June 1850 they settled permanently in Cannelton with six sons and two daughters; another daughter was to be born in 1853. Since DeLaHunt was focusing on one son of the Schmucks, Gabriel, this timetable probably was accurate with regard to him.

In the Perry County Census of 1850 Adam and Elisabeth "Smoke" are listed in Tobin Township with four sons arid two daughters. In Cannelton 19-year--old Henry "Smoke" and 17-year-old- Gabriel "Smoke" are resident in the household of 29-year-old George H. Kule, a baker from Germany. Fourteen-year-old Anton Schmuck is riot listed in Perry County at all, possibly through oversight. Henry Schmuck is not listed by DeLaHunt and his name does riot appear in the 1860 census. In that year "Andy" Schmuck, 22 years old, is listed in Adam Schmuck's family even though he had married on 16 July 1858. Gabriel, then 27, was also listed in the family of Adam Schmuck.

On 25 July 1850 Adam Schmuck purchased 40 acres of Congress land on the northeast corner of the intersection of present. Indiana Highway #66 and the German Ridge Lake Road. A month later on 28 August 1850 Stephen Shoemaker sold to Adam Schmuck a 40-acre tract adjoining on the north. Although Adam Schmuck purchased the 64-foot x 75-foot lot at the east corner of Third and Taylor Streets on 28 December 1854, he did not sell the 80-acre farm until 1 June 1859.

The American Cannel Coal Company had initially sold the entire 121 x 75-foot. lot (#135) between Third and Church Streets on Taylor Street on 21 March 1853 for-r. $225. The Company had a standard policy that a building with a minimum value of $200 must be erected within a year. It does not. seem to be likely that the $225 price in March 1853 included a three-story stone building. However, the unusual 57 x 75-foot size of the lot on the Church Street. end which sold for $100 on 9 May 1853 strongly suggests a substantial reason for that dimension: 57 feet. from the northeast side of the stone building to Church Street. Possibly the stone building was begun in the 6 1/2-week interval. When Schmuck purchased the remaining 64 feet of the lot- on 28 December 1854 the price was $600.

When the two-story frame structure at Third and Taylor Streets was razed in February 1992 clues to the construction history of it and the three-story stone building adjoining it on the northeast were revealed. The pattern of rubble and dressed stone on the southwest wall of the remaining building indicated that the original frame building against which it was built was smaller than that which was razed in 1992. Also, there was no exterior finish on the northeast end of the frame building. One possible sequence accounts for the above combination of facts: Both the stone arid first frame structures were built at the same time from April 1853. A five-picture panoramic view from the upriver side of Castlebury Creek at First Street made in 1863 shows the distinctive roof of the stone building rising above the trees.

In the 1860 and 1870 censuses Adam Schmucks occupation is given as Baker. However, he also practiced a sideline. On 21 March 1861 he applied for a liquor license at Third and Taylor. On 24 May 1866 he applied for a liquor license at his home on Taylor Street. on 25 June 1870 he advertised a Beer arid Wine Cellar; a sub-cellar beneath this one served to store and cool the beverages to around 55'. Further-her searching should reveal other license applications and ads. In July and August the CANNELTON ENQUIRER printed a 3-installment survey of businesses on Washington and Taylor Streets written by Miss Josephine Drumb. she wrote that Adam Schmuck's Bakery was at Third Street. She studiously omitted all references to any saloons. [1872]

The structure which was razed could have been a larger new structure or a greatly remodeled version of the original. The interior finish and woodwork were thought by several persons to be of a late 19th-century style. The entire Schmuck lot was transferred to Frederick and Christena Diener on 21 September 1881. Their ownership

of 24 years ended with the sale to Thomas J. Truempy on 30 October 1905 for $800.

Adam Schmuck (17 January 1805 - 24 June 1885) and Elizabeth Klein Schmuck (29 march 1808 - 16 October 1871) are buried in Cliff Cemetery at Cannelton with Henry Schmuck being regarded as the eldest, they were parents of ten children:

A.) Henry (1831); nothing further known.

B.) Gabriel (13 June 1833 - after 1890) ; see below. C.) Anton (April 1836); see below.

D.) Elizabeth (1837 - 9 February 1880); on 16 February married Joseph

Dusch. He operated a furniture store and funeral service on Washington Street

at the site of the present Sunlight Hotel; they had no children.

E.) Peter (1839); on 17 September 1862 married Nancy J. Kirby - nothing further known.

F.) Adam (13 August 1842 - 13 July 1862) died at Biloxi, Tennessee, from battle new structure or a greatly

G.) Charles (1844 - 13 July 1882) married Mary Ann Archer. He worked with his brother, Gabriel, in the Superior Flour Mill for a time in the late 1870s before moving to Indianapolis. He died there in a mental institution.

H.) Frederick (1846); nothing further known.

I.) Margaret (1849 - 8 June 1873), the first of the Schmuck family to be born in the United States, either at Pittsburgh or at some point in Ohio. On 7 March 1872 she married James J. Riordan; she died in Cannelton 8 months later.

J.) Lorusa (?) (1853) was born in Perry County, either at German Ridge or in

Cannelton; nothing further known after the 1870 census.

* * * * *

Gabriel Schmuck (B) was born in Sobernheim, Rhenish Prussia according to DeLaHunt. On 23 December 1861 he married Mary E. Sanders-Talbott, adopted daughter of Dow and Cordelia Talbott, born in Tennessee in 1843. They were parents of four known children born in Cannelton and others, not here identified, born in Indianapolis.

B1.) Blanche (1864) is the eldest known; B2.) Charles Adam (1 August 1866 - 16

July 1867); B3.)Frederick K. Ditzilger (?) (13 May 1868 - 25 January 1869);

B4.) Mary Gabriella (20 August 1870 - 18 October 1870.)

Gabriel Schmuck spent most of his adult life serving in public office, both elective and appointive. His fluency in English and German brought him into frequent demand as translator and interpreter. In 1860-1864 he was Perry County Recorder; reading his neat entries in the records is a delight yet today. Between 1866 and March 1872 he was Perry County Clerk. He was one of the original stockholders in the Superior Flour Mill constructed in 1868-69 on Front Street around 600 feet upstream from the present Bob Cummings Bridge. Schmuck sold his shares by 1880. In 1873 he served as cashier in the Tell City Bank and was credited by DeLaHurit with safely guiding the institution through the Panic of 1873.

In late 1873 he was elected to the Indiana Legislature. In 1876 he was elected Clerk of the Indiana Supreme court. He resided in Indianapolis until in the 1890s when he removed to Galena, Kansas.

* * * * * * *

Anton Schmuck (C) (April 1833 on 16 July 1858 married Fredericka Fuchs (May 1832.)

The dates and places of their deaths are not here known. Eight of their nine children

are identified:

C1.) Elizabeth (4 June 1859 - 2 January 1934) on 6 June 1882 married George W.Flach, son and stepson of Eva Catherine and August Lehman, respectively. (See Lehman Family sketch.) In 1881 the property of Adam Schmuck was placed in the hands of Elizabeth Schmuck; this eldest child of Anton and Fredericka Schmuck is apparently that Elizabeth.

C2.) Louisa S. (1861) on 5 February 1889 married Herman Rengers. They were residing in Matewan, West Virginia, in 1910. Four of their children attended the funeral of their uncle, Gabriel Schmuck, in November 1943: Mrs. Alvin McGhea, Charles, Garrett, and Clarence Rengers, all from Williamson, WV.

C3.) Margaret (1866) on 21 October 1896 married Ben P. Winter; they were residing in Owensboro, KY in 1910.

C4.) Gabriel (June 1868 - 18 November 1943) was the only child of Anton and Fredericka Schmuck who made Cannelton his permanent residence after a few years residence at Owensboro, KY shortly after 1900. THE CANNELTON TELEPHONE of 17 September 1905 reported that "Gabe Schmuck is building a second story on his meat shop on Washington Street." It is probable that at this time the door in the center was abandoned and two entrances were made in the front. Also the over-the-sidewalk roof was added which concealed the carved inscription, "A L & Brs."

On 22 November 1888 he married Mary A. Stich (July 1868 - 1950). They were parents of six known children: Gertrude (12 July 1889) on 31 December 1920 married Union Webb; one son, Union Webb, Jr.; Charles Edward (22 October 1890 - 1966) did not marry; resided in Louisville and Cannelton. Anton (Andy) George (31 December 1891 - 1 October 1972 on 19 January 1925 married Florence Clemens (1888 1967); one son, Robert (1925 - 1939). Andy succeeded his father in operating Schmuck's Market. Loreria (February 1894 - 1914). Emma (July 1896 - 1912). Gabriel (April, 1904 - 9 October 1904).

C5.) Laura Azelia (May 1870 - after 1943) was residing in Owensboro in 1943.

C6.) Frederick C. (February 1873 - 14 October 1910) on 28 April 1897 married

Jane Morgan (September 1873). They settled in Owensboro after January 1901.

They were parents of five children, the three eldest born at Cannelton: Vernice C.

(25 February 1898), Mary A. (19 June 1899), a son (30 January 1901.) Frederick

Schmuck operated a meat market on Second Street in Owensboro.

C7.) Antoinette F. Schmuck (March 1875) married George Casper; deceased before 1943. They were residing in Farmington New Mexico, in 1910.

CB.) George W. Schmuck (October 1879) resided in Owensboro in 1910, deceased by 1943.

In August 1872 Anton Schmuck purchased the Elm Park Estate of Francis Y. Carlile just downstream from Herzeele Street. There were at least four fires destroying Schmuck residences here by 1900; arson was suspected in some of them but never proven. He maintained a slaughter house and ice house here from The beginning, using it as his source of supply for the Washington Street Market after 1890. Anton Schmuck made one sensational entry into local court records. Weston A. Goodspeed, writing in 1885 (p. 628), summarizes it as follows: "In May 1881, Anton Schmuck was tried for the murder of one of the Stilwells. A quarrel had occurred between several parties in each side between Tell City and Cannelton, during which one of the Stilwells was shot. His death occurred soon afterward. Schmuck and Frank H. Long were indicted for the murder. A trial resulted in a 'hung' jury; a second trial gave the same result. It was taken to Rockport on change of venue, and again tried, resulting in another 'hung' jury. Schmuck was then discharged. The Stilwells lived in Kentucky and had become tired of the case. The indictment against Long was nollied.