The Fulton Tract


1,040 acres, from the Hospital downstream to Tell Street, along Tell nearly to 21st Street, along 21st Street to upper part of Fenn Lake, west along hospital lots to the river.

1805 - Elias Rector surveyed along the river in late summer. he noted a vein of coal beneath the hospital.

1809 - Between June and November, Nicholas Roosevelt and his new bride made a flatboat trip from Pittsburgh to New Orleans. In September Elias Rector (the surveyor) purchased what became know as the Fulton Tract, either as an agent or in partnership with Roosevelt.

1811 - Roosevelt traveled from Pittsburgh to New Orleans with the first steamboat on the Ohio River. Probably on 14 December 1811 he stopped at the Fulton Tract to take on some coal for which he had made arrangements to be ready. This is very likely was the first coal mined in Indiana. Two nights later - 16 December 1811 at 2;00 am the first of three months of earthquakes in the New Madrid fault found the steam boat New Orleans somewhere between the Wabash and the Mississippi.

1814 - In October Roosevelt and Rector sold the tract to Robert Fulton, a part owner in the New Orleans.

1815 - Robert Fulton died on 25 February 1815; he was buried at Trinity Church on Wall Street in New York City. His younger brother, Abraham Fulton, was teaching school in Louisville in 1814-1815 and came to Perry County after school was completed in order to look after his brother's estate. He settled at Troy, the only nearby settlement, purchased 3 lots and began to build a cabin. Tradition has it that he was cutting trees for the cabin on Camp Koch hill and was fatally injured in some manner while doing so. He died on 20 October 1815 and was buried in Troy Cemetery.

1815 - 1835 - Fulton's heirs - a widow and 4 children - accused Roosevelt of fraud since the coal vein was under water each time the river flooded. After 20 years of dispute the tract was sold to Henry Brazee on credit in 1835.

1847 - After 12 years of sales, mortgages, and foreclosures, Elisha M. Huntington purchased the 660 acres downstream from the bargeyard. Brazee retained 380 acres on the upstream end including the bargeyard and the hospital.