Dexter has always been a country store and post office, the latter from June 1870 to 1873, reinstated in 1876 until December 1948. Several well-regarded baseball teams played under the Dexter name in the 1920s and 1930s.
All the land in Perry County was originally purchased at the Land Office at Vincennes except for around 2,000 acres east of Dexter. Since these acres are the only ones in Perry County east of the Second Prime Meridian they had to be purchased at Jeffersonville.
About 2 miles from Dexter is the original site for the Springer House , from around 1813-15 to 1991.