United Methodist Church
The Methodist Church was the first organized religious group to hold services in Cannelton. Rev. John Miller held the first services in 1838. Cannelton was a part of the Rome circuit with Rev. Jessie Harbin as the first regular appointed minister. The services were held in the school house until 1850. In the year of 1850 an evangelistic meeting was held in the Unitarian (now St. Luke's) church building. The interest was so great that the Methodists decided to build a building. The Cannelton Coal Company donated a lot on S.E. 5th Street. In 1851 a building of wood construction 40 x 60 was erected. In 1878 this building was remodeled - a bell tower and Sunday School rooms added.
In the 1850's Rev. J.J. Stollard came from Jeffersonville by boat and in his evangelistic movement caused quite a stir in the community by his stand on moral issues. Methodism has always provoked more or less hostility on moral questions.
During the time of the Civil War, Aunt Barbara Mason was never too busy at Christmas to make goodies for the children of the Methodist Sunday School and for many poor children with no church home.
Jacob Maynard was another influential leader in the church and community. His eloquent speeches could sway audience. He was editor of the "Reporter", Cannelton's early paper, and did noble service for Perry County and our nation.
The Parsonage was built on the lot next to the church building in 1885. The German and English churches of Cannelton merged in 1915. In the month of January, 1927, the building burned and again the congregation moved to the St. Luke's building for their worship services. The new church building was started in May, 1927, on the corner of 3rd and Taylor Streets. This building was completed and the first service was held in December, 1927. In 1949 a new parsonage was built on the lot back of the church on 3rd Street. From the humble beginning, with a small church building and parsonage of wood construction, the congregation now worships in a beautiful air-conditioned building of brick construction, and the "parsonage family" is housed in a modern eight-room brick building. The property is debt free with a property value of $150,000. From the year of 1838 to the present time seventy-one ministers have served the church.