This house was built in 1868 by Judge Charles Mason. He was influenced by Hamilton Smith to come to Cannelton. He drew-up the petition to have the county seat moved to Cannelton from Rome.
In 1881, Dwight Newcomb bought the house. He clerked for years in the steamboating industry. In 1892, Samuel Sulzer was the owner of the building. From 1924 to 1935 it was the K of C Home.
The two story brick originally had a porch eight feet wide extending along the front and both sides.