How may we serve you? The Perry County CVB is here to help. Send us an email, call between 9:00am and 5:00pm CDT at 888-343-6262 or 812-547-7933, or, use our online contact form.

To receive a 3 day forecast from the Cannelton Locks and Dam, call (812) 547-2491.


Attractions in Perry County Indiana

Show All

Huffman Mill and Covered Bridge

According to the Huffman family, George and Nancy McDaniel Huffman settled on the Spencer County side in 1810. After learning of the scalping of Atha Meeks in western Spencer County in May 1811, they returned to Breckinridge County, KY, until 1815 or 1816. A water-powered mill was built just upstream from the bridge on the Spencer County side. The third water mill was torn down around 1910. A steam-powered mill was erected and ran for 15 years.

Huffman Covered BridgeHuffman Covered bridge

The present bridge was built in 1864 under the supervision of William Washer of Troy. There have been several extensive repairs made in recent years. Now there is a drive to have it listed in the National Historic Register.

Freeman's Corner, Friday, October 7, 1938
Perry County's Most Historic Spot To Be Marked

Lafayette Spring Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution will place a monument in the form of a bronze plaque mounted on a huge block of sandstone, at Freeman's Corner, Perry County's most historic spot, in a ceremony tentatively set for the last Sunday in October.

Mrs. Louis Zoercher, regent of Tell City, with her committee members Mrs. John Gerber, Cannelton, chairman, Mrs. P.J. Coultas and Mrs. H. C. Powers of Tell City are planning to have some of the State's best historians and speakers for the program and they have invited the Perry County Historical Society for a joint meeting on that day.

George R. Wilson, historian-surveyor of Indianapolis and Prof. Ross Lockridge of Indiana University have been invited to speak in addition to Mrs. William H. Schlosser, state regent of the D.A.R. and other state officers.

Freeman's Corner in Perry County is the southeast corner of the Vincennes Tract deeded in 1803 to the United States of America by several nations of Indians in the Treaty of Ft. Wayne. The Chapter is eager to mark this historic spot, surveyed by Thomas Freeman by placing the monument on the St. John Road, a county road in Clark Township near Bristow, a quarter mile from the actual corner, which corner is almost inaccessible for the average traveler being n a deep woods not much different from the time of the original survey.

Mounted on a huge block of native sandstone the bronze plaque will be placed at an angle that the following inscription may be read by a passing motorist without alighting from his automobile: "This monument stands one fourth mile south of the southeast corner of the Historical Vincennes Tract as established by Surveyor Thomas Freeman in 1802-1803. Placed by Lafayette Spring Chapter, D.A.R. in 1938.The sandstone block is a gift to the Society by H.C. Powers, Superintendent of the Ohio River Power Co. it was taken from the old waterworks plant at Cannelton.

George R. Wilson, surveyor and historian of Indianapolis, who is particularly interested in all old surveys has made a study of the Vincennes Tract of land. He came here in 1927 to locate the corner and all of the information contained in this article was obtained from him.

The story of how there came to be a tract of land know as the "Vincennes Tract" with its Indian, French and English Association, wars, treaties and settlements and their bearing on history and surveys in Indiana constitutes interesting reading dating back almost 200 years.

In 1742 the Indians gave to the French at Vincennes by means of a "gift deed" a tract of land lying at right angles to the general trend of the Wabash River at Vincennes. In 1763 the English conquered it from the French and in 1779 General George Rogers Clark captured it from the English in his conquest of the Northwest Territory.

In 1803 the United States of America, represented by William Henry Harrison, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, and Commissioner Plenipotentiary of the United States, cleared title to this land in a treaty with the Delawares, Shawnees, Potawatimies, Miamis, Eel River, Weeas, Kickapoos, Piankashaws and Kaskaskias nations of Indians made at Fort Wayne. In doing this the Government went back of all deed and former treaties and bought the land from the Indians, the remote owners.

One of the articles contained in the Treaty at Ft. Wayne, the United States agreed to furnish salt not to exceed 150 bushels, from the Salt Spring on the Saline Creek, to be divided among the Indians. Indians were allowed to fish in the rivers and cross streams on ferries free of toll during floods. At that time salt was a luxury and scarce. The Vincennes Tract includes 1,600,000 acres of land. It is 70 leagues long and 42 leagues wide.
The General Land Office of the Department of the Interior at Washington, D.C. describes the land as follows:
"Beginning at Point Coupee on the Wabash, and running thence by a line north seventy-eight degrees, west twelve miles, thence by a line parallel to the general course of the Wabash, until it shall be intersected by a line at right angels to the same, passing through the mouth of White River, thence by the last mentioned line across the Wabash and toward the Ohio, seventy-two miles, thence by a line north twelve degrees west, until it shall be intersected by a line at right angles to the same, passing through Point Coupee, and by the last mentioned line to the place of beginning."

Most of this land lies in Indiana but a small part is in Illinois, the boundary lines of the Vincennes Tract are known as the "Old Indian Boundary." the southeast corner of said tract is located on the line between Sections 25 and 30 Ts 4s Rs 2 and 3W and 2nd P.M. Indiana, according to a description furnished by the Department of the Interior.

The exact corner is between the farms of Henry Delaisse and Perry Andrews, the latter an oil operator of Vincennes who has found gas in several holes on his land and a little oil.

In speaking of his trip here to locate Freeman's Corner, Mr. Wilson said "It was a thrill few surveyors are privileged to have. Having found the range line and armed with the Freeman's original field notes which gave the distance from line tree to line tree and from creek to creek (in this care Anderson river) the search for Freeman's corner began. In an hour's time the marks of the old surveys began to appear. They grew plainer and plainer as they neared the corner and finally upon three moss covered beech trees were the figures and letters wanted. They had broadened until the lines were two inches wide and eight inches long. The half mile corner and its official witness trees were found. Finally the stone was found and south on the line 300 links was the site of the southeast corner of the Vincennes Tract with the topography and forest descriptions given by Thomas Freeman in 1802-1803.

Led by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Delaisse, who own the farm on which the corner is located the local committee visited the place and also found the cornerstone on which were the letters T.T., 24, 4s and on top was a cross. The committee also found the witness trees with the lettering and marks. Mr. Delaisse said that he has sold considerable timer from his place but because the witness trees of beech are not suited for lumber they have been spared. They are very tall having been forced to grow tall in order to reach the sunlight. Shafts of the golden sunlight cut through the dense woods at the time of the visit of the committee but there was not enough light to get good Kodak pictures.

Mr. Wilson said that he could easily imagine Thomas Freeman at his work, with his Jacob staff in his right hand, his compass swinging on his left shoulder and on his right hip, his buckskin pouch swinging from a shoulder strap containing his instructions, papers, field notes and ink horn, opened at the smaller end containing homemade ink brewed from the forest bark; another horn opened at the larger end containing dry sand to be used as a blotter; a dozen or more wild goose feathers from which to make quill pens. With him were his axmen, blazers, chainmen and in the lead a flagman wearing a red flannel shirt that he might be more easily seen.

Freeman's cooks, tent men, hunters and camp followers were nearby and there may have been a few Indian chiefs provided for in the Treaty to help. It was not a large party for Freeman speaks of a "small party." Pack horses with provisions, medicines and the Kentucky cure for snake bite were in charge of farriers or teamsters, Mr. Wilson visualized.

The white men wore buckskin trousers, raccoon caps, moccasins and other pioneer clothing. The guards carried their trusty Kentucky or Tennessee rifles and they know how to hit "either eye" of a deer, buffalo or even a squirrel. Wild game furnished the fresh meat and the streams the fish. Flint steel and "punk" supplied fires and thus the party slowly but surely blazed their way over creeks, rivers, valleys, hills, through briars, thickets and woods, snow and rain to open the way for those who came after them.

Mr. Wilson said that the old musty field notes of Freeman as written on the ground or at camp of the pioneer surveyors are interesting documents, especially to one who has followed the lines called for in them and one who has placed his transit over the very "posts" called for in the fading notes, as he had.

Most of Freeman's note books are about three inches by six inches made by hand out of fools cap paper, sewed together with thread as awkwardly as a man could do it or tied together with strips of buckskin cut as thin as a pioneer could cut them. The notes show the result of perspiration, snow, rain, pocket wear and the cruel hand of time, yet they tell a story of pioneer life no court or jury ever set aside.

Occasionally along his lines, Freeman split a sapling and a limb was returned through the body of the tree, thus a line of "peace trees" was established. In time the sapling became a deformed forest tree and did its part to preserve the location of the line. A number of people living along the Freeman lines recall seeing the "peace trees."

Peace trees should not be confused with "witness trees" as they are quite different.
In October, 1804 Ebenezer Buckinham, Jr. established the second principal meridian which extends from Ohio to the State of Michigan. When Buckinham came north from Freeman's Corner in what is now Perry County he recorded two "Beech Trees as witness trees" and thus a system began and they are the first witness trees on record.

Back to top of Bristow section

Indiana Territory Acts
School Lands in Indiana -- Section 16

The purpose in setting aside one 640-acre section (#16) of the 36 such sections in a congressional township was to provide material public support for schools during the first half of the 19th century. For more than 30 years (1785 - 1816) this was the only form of such support in the area since called Indiana. This financial support was used principally for the construction and maintenance of the school building itself. Payment for teachers and supplies came from the families of the pupils until after mid-19th century.

The idea originated slightly more than a year after the defeat of Cornwallis on 19 October 1781 in the remaining units of the Continental Army quartered 50 miles up the Hudson River from Manhattan near Newburgh, NY. In a movement by 285 officers led by Gen. Rufus Putnam and Col. Timothy Pickering to obtain up to 7 years of back pay from the Continental Congress, proposals were presented to Congress through George Washington which would gain this end with grants of the "Western Lands north and west of the Ohio River." Tracts of land in this grant area would be set aside for schools and religious organizations.

Only the school section provision survived in the Land Ordinance of 20 May 1785. This ordinance outlined the system for surveying with N-S meridians at 6-mile intervals intersecting E-W parallels at 6-mile intervals. The 36 square-mile townships thus marked off were subdivided into 36 mile-square sections of 640 acres each. These congressional townships are marked off regardless of the topography of the land surface. Civil townships have nothing in common with congressional townships but are organized as subdivisions of counties to facilitate governmental functions at local levels.

Back to top of Bristow section

Mary Rose Herb Farm Farm

Winzerwald Winery




Show All

Cannelton Locks & Dam

The Cannelton Locks and Dam project was approved as a replacement structure for the existing Locks 43,44 and 45 on 27 January, 1960 for the Secretary of the Army under the authority of Section 6 of the River and Harbor Act which was approved 3 March 1909. The total cost of the Cannelton Locks and Dam project was $98,040,000. Construction started in May of 1962.

Cannelton Locks and Dam, Perry County Indian

The Cannelton Locks and Dam consist of one main lock chamber, 110 feet wide by 1200 feet long and one auxiliary lock chamber, 110 feet wide by 600 feet long. The two lock chambers are parallel to each other on the Indiana shore. The locks can be filled or emptied in about 8 minutes. The dam consists of two sections. The main portion is a non-navigable structure, 1,412 feet long with twelve gates. Each gate is 42 feet high and 100 feet long and supported between 15 food wide piers. The gates can be raised or lowered by means of electric hoists located on top of the piers. The supporting arms of the gates are designed so that the gates can be raised out of the water. During flood situations, the gates are raised completely out of the water and the dam has no effect on flood stages, either to raise or reduce the flood levels that occur. The section section of the dam is a concrete weir or wall that extends from the end of the gated section to the Kentucky shore. This weir is 195 feet long.

The 1200 foot long lock chamber of the Cannelton Locks enables the large commercial tows to pass through the lock in one operation rather than having to untie the tow and lock it through in smaller sections as was necessary in the old structures.

Illustration showing How Locks work

The Cannelton Locks and Dam replaces these out-moded older locks and dams with one modern structure, thus reducing the travel time because only one lockage is required instead of three as in the past.
The deeper, wider and more stable pool formed by the Cannelton Locks and Dam permits more efficient and safe operation by the large commercial tows in the area.

The normal upper pool elevation is 383.0 feet, mean sea level and the lower pool elevation is 358.0 mean sea level. The difference in height between the two pools (lift) is 25 feet. It takes one million gallons of water for each foot of lift each time the lock is operated. In Cannelton Locks this will require twenty-five million gallons of water.

The navigable channel of the Ohio is obtained by means of dams which form a series of lakes the entire length of the waterway. In profile, the waterway would appear like a stairway, with the lakes forming the treads and the dams forming the risers. Boats pass the dams by means of locks. Vessels are raised or lowered in the lock by admitting water to, or releasing water from the lock chamber by controlled gravity flow through passages around the lock gates.

A 114 mile lake... In recent years, with the growth of the interest in water-related recreation, the Ohio River has become a people place...busy weekends involving boaters, water skiers, swimmers, and picnickers. All of them out for a good time in, on and around the water.

The pools created by the canalization of the Ohio River were originally designed to move commercial traffic with greater ease and speed. They have now become long "lakes" inviting the public to use them for recreation activity.

The Cannelton Locks and Dam create a "lake" 114 miles long, stretching from Cannelton, Indiana to Louisville, Kentucky. This uninterrupted stretch of water provides some of the most beautiful scenery for the boater. With the interest that has been created in recreation boating, the ramps, marinas and service areas in this pool are becoming more numerous.

We invite you to use this 114 mile stretch of water for your recreation fun. Please remember that Water Safety is a personal matter. Check your equipment to make sure that it is in working order, observe the rules and regulations on boating, and observe the three "Cs" of water safety...COURTESY -- considering how your actions will affect you and the others who are using the water...COMMON SENSE -- using your head and avoid those foolish and often fatal mistakes of improper equipment or taking chances that result in tragedy...CONFIDENCE -- the art of knowing what to do because you have taken time to learn how to do it. Know your boat, its equipment and your own abilities. Don't exceed the capability of any of these items.

Back to top of Cannelton Section

Additional information may be obtained from the Lockmaster at the project or the District Engineer at:
District Engineer
U.S. Army Engineer District, Louisville
P.O. Box 59
Louisville, KY 40201

Click any thumbnail below to see larger photo with description

  • August Heck Building
    (Currently Iron Gate Pizza) 
(516 Washington )
  • Currently Bears Place
    (205 Washington) Michael Dusch purchased this lot in 1858, the original building burned. Michael drowned in Newburgh, IN on the Ohio River while mining coal. Fire destroyed the second building on this site in 1891. It was formerly the Central Hotel. The present building was erected shorly after the 1891 fire.
  • Blacksmith House
    A Blacksmith Shop stood on this site prior to the modern building being built in 1922. (between Haury House and Smith/Wallot Building )
  • Brick Building
    (613 Washington) The building was Most likely built soon after a fire destroyed the entire block between 6th and 7th streets in 1867
  • Busam's Wallpaper Store
    (north corner of 5th and Taylor) The original building belonging to Patrick Shea burned in 1881. The Cannelton Enquirer & Reporter stated May 25, 1881 that "Patrick Shea will soon sit smiling and contented in a new brick cottage. He was a drayman and needed stables for his business. The October 6, 1881 edition of the newspaper stated "Patrick Shea continues to erect new buildings". John Jeffrey had a drug store in the building before he died in 1889
  • Cannel Coal Office
    ( 301 Taylor Street) On March 21, 1853 the Coal Company sold the entire lot #135 between 3rd street and the alley to John L. Jones for $225.00. (Apparently, no buildings were erected on the lot until after March 1853.) On December 28, 1854 Jones sold 64 feet at the corner to Adam Schmuck for $600.00. Schmuck sold it to his sister on October 20, 1880 for $500.00. She sold it on September 20, 1881 to Frederick Diener for $1500.00. On October 30, 1905 Diener sold it to Thomas Truempy for $800.00 Presumably the house was built in the 1850's. The interior of this sandstone building is built differently than other buildings in town, it has a hallon one side of the building with all rooms entering offof it. There are no fireplaces as it was heated by stoves. The basement is of cut sandstone blocks with an arched ceiling. It has an entrance from the front and the rear. There is a subcellar under the floor of the basement. Andy Schmuck operated a bakery here. By 1861, he opened a beer and wine cellar as well. The subcellar served as storage and cooler for the beverages. There are local legends that say during the civil war the subcellar served as a station of the underground railroad for runaway slaves.
  • City Park with Bandstand
    The bandstand was built in 1931 or 2.
  • Clemens Store
    (currently Denmark International Imports) (north corner of 7th & Washington) On August 30, 1858 Peter Clemens purchased part of the lot from Francis Murphy. On February 9, 1859 he purchased the remainder of the lot. The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated on March 7, 1861 that "Mr Clemens is about to erect a substantial stone house in front of St. Michael Chruch on 7th Street". He completed a brick addition in 1875.
  • Commercial Buildings
    Built around 1880-1900, mostly in the Italianate style.
  • Commercial Buildings
    Built around 1880-1900, mostly in the Italianate style.
  • Commercial Building
    (Currently Rosies Upholstery) (503 Washington) Italianate style building was built around 1870 to 1900. The building was occupied in the 1900's buy three tailors by the name of Phillip Arnold, Mike Keiser, and Tommy Truempy who was the mayor for a while. Phillip Arnold was a coronet player in the community band and died in 1943. The shop closed in the 1930's due to the old age of the tailors. IGA Grocery store was on the first floor for a while in the 1930's. Dr Bush occupied the second floor in the 1920's.
  • Conrad Dusch Building
    (Currently the Childrens Exchange) (511 Washington) The June 7, 1866 edition of the Cannelton Reporter stated that "Conrad Dusch is about to erect a large and elegant brick store on Washington Street near 6th". The July 5, 1866 edition stated that " The new store of Conrad Dusch is rapidly approaching its completion". A liquor liscense was given on May 1, 1875
  • Indiana Cotton Mill - National Historic Landmark
    Once the largest industrial building west of the Alleghenies. The cornerstone was laid in May, 1849. It is one of the most impressive manufacturing structures of the pre Civil War period. The building cost $80,000 when it was built and over $175,000 worth of machinery was installed. The mill structure faces the Ohio River, several hundred feet from the north bank. The building has 280 feet of frontage and is 60 feet deep. Most of the building is five stories, but is dwarfed by 100 feet high twin towers. Cannelton was to rival Lowell, Mass. with several mills similar to this one. Hamilton Smith , who was one of the original planners of the mill, had visions of Cannelton leading the way in industrial development for the South and West. These hopes fell short due to poor attitude of the workers, a shortage of money, and an abundance of lime in the water. The mill manufactured Union Army uniforms for the Civil War and war materials during both World Wars. The mill operated continuously from 1851 through 1954. In the fall of 1990 it was listed as a National Historic Landmark.
  • Ernst Lehman House
    (East corner of Taylor & Bry) The October 20, 1889 edition of the Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated that "The two story house of Ernst Lehman is to be erected on Taylor Street by Mr. Henderson Huff".
  • Farquhar Brothers Saloon
    (Currently the Pumper) (South corner of 6th and Washington ) The Cannelton Telephone newspaper stated July 22, 1897 that "Farquhar brothers are having a new two-story frame building erected on their lot on 6th street opposite Jakie Heck's Saloon". Nich Scheidegger is to build the Farquhar building for $1117.00 as per the August 12, 1897 edition of the newspaper.
  • Fred Hafele House
    (606 Taylor next door to church parsonage) Gable front style built about 1875.
  • Fred Heck Saloon
    (Currently Mike's Bar & Grill) (East corner of 6th and Washington, 601 Washington) The Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated May 30, 1891 that "Fred Heck's new building is beginning to loom away up". F. W. Heck held the grand opening of his new saloon on June 27, 1891.
  • Hemphill House
    (505 Taylor) Built around 1870. Ed Hemphill lived in the house during the 1920, 30, and 40's He served as the sheriff and the postmaster. He shot himself in 1947.
  • Henry Heim House
    (109 E. 7th Street )(current sign on building says Charles Haury House) According to Heim-Gerber tradition, Martin Heim, stone carver and mason, erected this building after completion of St Michael's Chruch with stone left over from that project. He resided in the home until his death in 1880.
  • Hutchings Home
    Eusebius Hutchings purchased Square "D" drom the Cannel Coal Company for $1469.00. He immediatly had 6 cottages erected for rent to mill and coal company employees. This is one of the few remaining house. (His son, John Bacon Hutchings, was to be the architect for the court house in 1896.)
  • Indiana Cotton Mill - National Historic Landmark
    Once the largest industrial building west of the Alleghenies. The cornerstone was laid in May, 1849. It is one of the most impressive manufacturing structures of the pre Civil War period. The building cost $80,000 when it was built and over $175,000 worth of machinery was installed. The mill structure faces the Ohio River, several hundred feet from the north bank. The building has 280 feet of frontage and is 60 feet deep. Most of the building is five stories, but is dwarfed by 100 feet high twin towers. Cannelton was to rival Lowell, Mass. with several mills similar to this one. Hamilton Smith , who was one of the original planners of the mill, had visions of Cannelton leading the way in industrial development for the South and West. These hopes fell short due to poor attitude of the workers, a shortage of money, and an abundance of lime in the water. The mill manufactured Union Army uniforms for the Civil War and war materials during both World Wars. The mill operated continuously from 1851 through 1954. In the fall of 1990 it was listed as a National Historic Landmark.
  • Irvin's Store
    ( West corner of 4th and Taylor)George Ernst built the front half of the stone building in early 1854.The August 23, 1877 edition of the Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated "George Ernst is erecting the largest building that has been put up in Cannelton for a number of years." He added the back half of the building. On March 26, 1892 he sold it to Misters Irvin.
  • Jacob Heck Store
    The iron work on the front is marked "Chas. D. Meyer, Louisville, KY, Architect". The original Jacob Heck Store opened for business September 28, 1882, and offered hardware and groceries.
  • Jacob Heck House
    (Taylor Street)Jacob Heck bought the Cannelton State Bank in 1896 and built the Jacob Heck Store.
  • Josie Nicolay Building
    (south corner of 6th and Adams) Built around 1875.
  • Christian Kielhorn Building
    (Currently Cornacopia Gift Shop) (South corner of 7th and Washington ) Christian Kielhorn built the building in 1879 which is carved into the window lintel. In March of 1913 the Cannelton Telephone newspaper stated Gabe Schmuck is having a two-room brick addition made to the rear of his property. In it's time it has been used as a tavern, bakery, confectionery, restaurant, and retail store.
  • Latimer/Danhauer House
    (Adams Street)Built sometime between 1865 and 1890. It is a Queen Anne and Greek Revival style.
  • Ms Marcrum's Grocery/ Jacob Rolands Store
    (Currently offices of Dr Walker) (607 Washington) Italianate style built around 1890
  • Mason/Newcomb/Sulzer House
    Judge Charles Mason was influenced by Hamilton Smith to come to Cannelton. He drew up the petition to have the county seat moved to Cannelton from Rome. In 1881, Dwight Newcomb bought the house. He clerked for years in the steamboating industry and died July 4, 1892. In 1892, Samuel Sulzer was the owner of the building. From 1924 to 1935 it was the K of C Home. Cannelton School Corp. bought it in 1935. The two story brick originally had a porch eight feet wide extending along the front and both sides.(109 S 3rd Street)The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated August 1, 1867 that " Judge Charles Mason's foundation was laid this week". The November 28, 1868 edition stated that " Judge Mason is finishing his mansion, soon to be occupied."
  • Masonic Lodge
    (Currently the Sarsapparilla Saloon)The Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated February 20, 1892 that "Mrs. Marcum will build a three story business house on Sixth street opposite the court house".
  • Myers Grade School / The Free School
    (corner of 6th & Taylor) The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated January 9, 1869 that "The public school is about completed. It is to open Monday, January 18, 1869." The Free School is thought to be the oldest school in Indiana - perhaps the United State - in continuous use. In 1932 an Industrial Survey of the City of Cannelton had this to say about the already historic sixty-four year old structure: The elementary building, although erected in 1868, is modern in every respect. The stairways, corridors, toilets, lighting, furnace, ventilation and natural light are all according to state regulations. When the building was first planned and erected considerable foresight was exercised for the wood could not be duplicated at this time, the arrangement of the rooms could not be improved as the size of the rooms is above standards at this time, and the playground could not be more ample. All in all it is a remarkable building with an interesting past and has many more years of useful service init for the children of Cannelton.
  • Old Community Building
    (Currently used as a gymnasium) Built in 1928 by Hafele Supply Company
  • Ramsey Grocery
    Italianate style built around 1890. John Zimmerman had a grocery store in 1910 in the building. He was also the mayor three times and the postmaster, therefore the building was the location of the post office also.
  • Rosenblatt/ James Lodge Building
    (East corner of 3rd & Washington )The Enquirer & Reporter newspaper stated May 23, 1878 that " On Monday last, work was commenced on the new building known as Odd Fellows Hall". The July 4, 1878 edition stated " The corner stone was laid Monday." The October 24, 1878 edition stated "The Dedication of the new hall has been postponed to Friday the 29th of December, the anniversary of the Lodge." The January 2, 1879 edition stated that "The Odd Fellows Building is completed." The Cannelton Bank was located in the rear of the building in 1896.
  • Schmuck Building
    ( Currently the Castelbury Inn) (615 Washington St) "A.L. Bros. 1867" is carved on the front of the building. The tall narrow building was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the entire block between 6th and 7th streets. The Cannelton Telephone newspaper stated September 17, 1905 that " Gabe Schmuck is building a second story on his meat shop on Washington Street". The grocery and meat market was owned by the Schmuck family. Local lore holds that the building once housed sleeping rooms for cotton mill workers. Castlebury is the historical spelling of Casselberry, which is the name of a nearby creek.
  • Hamilton Smith Jr./ Nicholas Wallot House
    (East corner of 7th and Washington )The stone building was erected by B.H. Rogge a few years before 1859 under a contractual agreement with the Cannel Coal Company. On July 15, 1863 under a Sheriff's Deed from B.H. Rogge the Coal Company sold the lot and building to Hamilton Smith , Jr for $481.99. On February 23, 1864 he sold it to Nicholas Wallot for $1150.00.
  • St Michael Church
    (corner of 8th & Washington) On February 28, 1858 the Bishop of Vincennes approved construction of a church for use by the German speaking Catholic population in Cannelton. Foundation work was completed so that the cornerstone was laid on June 13, 1858. The first Mass was celebrated on June 19, 1859. The tower was completed by the end of September, 1860. The church is constructed with finished sandstone blocks, quarried from nearby hills, on the exterior and interior walls. The church was remodeled in 1927, 1954, and 1977. For more information "St Michaels on the Hill" by Michael Rutherford available at the Tell City Public Library.
  • St Michaels Parish Home
    (8th Street)The building was constructed in 1914 after St John School began sinking into coal mine tailings just up the hill from the present building.
  • St Michaels School
    (8th Street) Constructed in 1915 with classes beginning in September of 1915.
  • St Johns United Church of Christ
    (620 Taylor) The brick church was built in 1890 and replaced a frame church of 1853. A bad storm knocked the steeple off and it was replaced about 1920.
  • Saint Lukes Church
    National List of Historic Places (101 E 3rd Street) The wooden structure was built by the American Cannel Coal Company in 1845 as a meeting house for all the residence of Cannelton. A Prayer Book service on Sunday, August 3, 1851 is the oldest worship service of record. The original post and beam frame work building has a bell tower added to the front and two rooms and santuary added to the rear. The flat board mahogany pews are original and simple in style. The bell at the top of the belfry was manufactured by the Kaye Bell Foundry of Louisville and installed in the tower about 1865. The bell came from the riverboat, Major Balbour, which sank in the Ohio River, near Cannelton, on February 3, 1848. The three panels of stained glass windows behind the altar were made in England, circa 1800. They are held in place by handmade square nails. St Luke,s was placed on the National List of Historic Places in 1983. The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated January 23, 1858 that " A neat stone wall has been put up on Washington Street to protect the Unitarian Church lot that for some time has been washing away."
  • Sulzer/Hafele House
    (120 Third Street) On May 27, 1873 Louise Sulzer bought the lot from Susan E Armstrong for $300.00. The Cannelton Reporter newspaper stated " J.F. Sulzer's home on Third street is in an advanced condition". The September 20, 1873 edition stated " J.F. Sulzer has moved into his new residence on 3rd Street"
  • Sunlight Hotel
    (currently being renovated) The Hotel Co. voted to build the New Sunlight at 1st and Washington rather than at 4th & Washington according to the Cannelton Telephone newspaper Jun 8, 1928. The hotel was completed and dedicated on April 29, 1929.
  • Union Hotel
    (2nd and Taylor)It was built by Ernst Heck in 1871. The Cannelton Reporter stated October 4, 1877 that "Ernst Heck is adding another story to his residence on Taylor Street:. The Cannelton Enguirer & Reporter newspaper stated May 26, 1883 that "Ernst Heck is making extensive improvements about his house and grounds". The May 16, 1885 edition stated that "Ernst Heck has a new addition".
  • Virginia Place / Delahunt Residence
    (2nd & Taylor) On May 10, 1856 Joshua B. Huckaby purchased these two lots from R. Henry Gay of Boston for $1800.00 The Virginia Place was remodeled with a porch in April & May of 1962. A ghost reportedly lives in the house today.
  • Webb House
    (East corner of Smith and Taylor) Webb was a 20th century tenant. The April 26, 1877 Cannelton Enquirer newspaper stated that " James A. Burkett contemplates the erection of a dwelling house on the lot he lately purchased on Taylor street near the post office". Burkett was a prominent bricklayer. The post office was a small building on the South corner of Church and Taylor Streets in the 1870s when the Huckabys were postmasters.

Back to top of Cannelton Section

Bob Cummings - Lincoln Trail Bridge

On June 13, 1964, construction was began on the bridge which was to span the Ohio River between Indiana and Kentucky connecting Cannelton and Hawesville. The bridge was dedicated November 19 1966, and opened to traffic at 9:30 a.m. on December 21, 1966. In 1974 on November 17, the bridge was renamed the Bob Cummings - Lincoln Trail Bridge.

Bob Cummins Bridge

Bob Cummings was a lifelong resident of Cannelton who worked tirelessly to get the bridge located and built where it is. Many avenues were exploited before the bridge became a reality. Mr. Cummings always came back with "We're going another route, a bridge is needed". (Bob was a newspaper man and a tireless community worker.)

Prior to the bridge, the only way to transit the Ohio was by the Hawesville and Cannelton Ferry owned by Earl Bettinger. The Ferry is no longer in operation.

Robert "Bob" Cummings

Bob Cummings, a very civic-minded citizen, helped in many ways for the progress of his beloved Cannelton. Among his many endeavors were influencing businesses to locate here, finding housing for new-comers, promoting schools, churches, all organizations and the general appearance of this city. Bob was referred to a "Mr. Kiwanian" as he loved and served this club well until his untimely death on July 25, 1971. He held a variety of memberships in local and area organizations. He was a regular attendant and dedicated member of the Rome Masonic Lodge No. 133.

His wife, "Mrs. Gladys", who was cooperative with his activities, was a 40 year first grade teacher having taught 37 years in the first grade in Cannelton. She also attended grade school and high school in the local schools. Her former students continue to respect, "Mrs. Gladys" as she was commonly called.

She and Bob were graduates of C.H.S., where their allegiance never failed. She continues to be active in her church, the First United Methodist, being a Sunday School teacher, pianist, choir leader, and treasurer of the Memorial Fund and the United Methodist Women. She is also an ardent worker in the B & PW Club and treasurer of the Adult Booster Club.

Bob and "Mrs. Gladys" lived according to their creed of life "helping others".

Back to top of Cannelton Section


Lafayette Spring

Lafayette Spring is the most historic spot in Perry County. No doubt it is the most historic in the state with reference to the great general whose name it bears. The shrine is owned and cared for by the Lafayette Spring Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, who perpetuate the name of this great American benefactor.

The spring is located several miles east of what is now Cannelton, then Virgin Forest, near the Ohio River. Here a spring now issues from a cliff in the steep rock cliffs facing the river. It was here that Lafayette held an informal reception with pioneers of the area following the shipwreck of his steamboat, the Mechanic, May 9, 1826.

Lafayette Spring

Lafayette was on a farewell visit to the United States as guest of this government. He was enroute to Louisville with a group of distinguished persons. He had been honored by every state in the Union by patriots who wished to show their love and esteem for the great Lafayette.

During a heavy rainstorm about midnight, the boat struck a rock formation which juts out of the river from the Indiana side (now know as Rock Island) and sank in a short time. No lives were lost but Lafayette's carriage and his desk containing $8,000 and valuable papers were lost.

The old general fell into the river as he was being assisted into a lifeboat and would have drowned except for the deck hands. Bonfires were built and some clothing and food were dried out.

As Lafayette talked with friends, the steamer Paragon, moving downstream, was sighted. The captain was told of the incident and he agreed to return to Louisville with Lafayette and his party.

There are cliffs around to the north where you may visit Devil's or Bear's Cave or edge through Fat Man's Misery.

A Narrative of Lafayette's shipwreck - An Alternative View

I t was a pleasant enough voyage, and all had gone well for the honored passengers about the steamboat Mechanic . The honored Marquis de Lafayette of France, the Marquis' son, Georges Lafayette, a former governor of Louisiana name Thebeaudot, and a former governor of Kentucky Isaac Shelby were heading up the Ohio River toward Louisville after having spent some time with Andrew Jackson at his home, the Hermitage, near Nashville, Tennessee. Lafayette was to be honored at a huge reception upon reaching Louisville on this, his second and final visit to America in 1824.

Shortly past midnight on that drizzly May night, the boat struck an underwater snag near or upon Rock Island and came to a halt with a violent shudder. The hold began to fill with water, and it was obvious that the vessel was sinking rapidly. The captain gave orders to abandon ship. A cry went up to save General Lafayette. Torches were lighted, and the deckhands hurried to launch the small skiffs and herd the passengers overboard into them.

Presently, Lafayette, an elder statesman of 67 years, appeared, fully dressed, wigged and completely unperturbed. However, in mid-staircase, he stopped, suddenly remembering that he had left his snuff box in his stateroom. Quickly he sent his secretary, Levasseur, back up to fetch it. Some say the box was one of his prized possessions because it had a miniature portrait of George Washington painted on the lid. The two men had been great friends; in fact, Lafayette's own son had been named for the American patriot. Others who are more skeptical say that perhaps the General just didn't want to be without his snuff in a crisis. Anyway, the precious box was recovered, and the general and his secretary were hurried to the rail and put overboard.

The boat waiting below was already crowded, and the river was rough. In the darkness Lafayette lost his footing and tumbled headlong, powdered wig and all, into the river. Had it not been for the quick action of two sailors, he might have drowned in the Ohio River. However, the great man was no worse off than wet, so when the small boat reached the Indiana shore, fires were built for a general drying out.

According to records, no lives were lost in the disaster, but within 10 minutes the Mechanic had completely sunk, taking with it Lafayette's carriage, clothing, and about $8,000 of his money. Captain Wylys Hall lost not only his boat but also his desk and a sum of money which ranges from $1,300 to $13,000 depending upon which source is quoted.

All the excitement, the shouting and the blazing bonfires on the river bank awakened the family of James Cavender, who lived in a log cabin nearby. When the Cavenders found out what had happened and who the distinguished personages were who had alighted so unexpectedly on their shore, they hastened to offer the Marquis de Lafayette hot broth in their cabin and a warm bed for the rest of the night.

The next dawn ushered in a gray and rainy day. When area farmers learned through the grapevine that Lafayette was here, they came in wagons and o horseback to shake his hand. They were not unlike other people all over the United States who gave of their best in his honor. Children had been known to have scattered flowers in his path, men on horseback had ridden before his party to tell of his approach, and it is said that people kissed his hand and some wept on seeing him. Nonetheless, about 9 a.m. another steamboat, the Paragon , was sighted churning up the river. The party flagged her down, and she pulled to shore and took aboard the Mechanic's unfortunate passengers and carried them to Louisville.

Whether or not Lafayette actually slept in the Indiana cabin is still debated today. In fact, there is even speculation that the Mechanic actually wrecked and sank on the Kentucky side of the river, whereupon the party spent the night on Kentucky shores. Nevertheless, the wreck of the Mechanic and all her cargo remains today at the bottom of the Ohio River, and Lafayette Springs claims to be the official sight of the event.

An Alternative View

B efore the dam was built there was a large round rock in the river just past the upper end of the present lock. It was called the Lady Washington Rock (a boat of that name was supposed to have wrecked there in 1852). It was also called Elephant Rock from its shape. It was used as a navigational mark by steamboats going upstream. Before reaching it boats moved to the Kentucky side where the current was easier on the inside of a curve.

This was the situation when Lafayette was traveling upstream on the rainy night of May 9, 1825. The boat, the Mechanic , moved to the Kentucky side and soon hit a submerged tree, called a snag, and partially sank around 11 o'clock. The 65-year-old Lafayette spent the rest of the night on the Kentucky shore on a partially dry mattress under an umbrella with a fire burning. At daybreak a rowboat was found and he was brought to a cabin near Elephant Rock on the Indiana side. He stayed here out of the rain until around noon when a downstream boat turned around and took him to Louisville. Bert Fenn found three eye-witness accounts which agreed with one another. So Lafayette was not wrecked on Rock Island nor did he spend the night at Lafayette Spring around 3/4 mile upstream from Elephant Rock.

Back to top of Cannelton Section

Perry County Olde Courthouse Museum

Built in 1896, it is made of pressed yellow brick with trim of Bedford limestone. The courthouse was built to replace the first courthouse at Cannelton, which was in a house remodeled for the hasty move of the county seat from Rome in 1859. The building cost $30,000 which was raised by Cannelton citizens and given to the county.

Olde courthouse museum

museum interiormuseum interior

The PERRY COUNTY MUSEUM is a non-profit organization dedicated to the collection and preservation of local history and artifacts.

The museum is located in the former Perry County Court House at Seventh and Taylor Streets, Cannelton, IN. The mailing address is P.O. Box 36, Cannelton, IN 47520. The phone number is 812-547-3190.

The museum is open on Sunday, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and at other times by appointment, by calling the above number or 547-5568. Bus tours are encouraged.

Exhibits currently open and under development include:

  • Early Perry County Farm life
  • Coal- Clay - Cotton Textile Industries
  • Native American Artifacts
  • Civil War and Other War Memorabilia
  • Perry County Fossils and Minerals
  • Blacksmith Shop - Carpenter's Shop - Stone Mason's exhibit
  • "The Victorian Parlor" of 1870
  • Oral History and Genealogy Repository
  • Media Center - Reference Books on River History and Steamboats
  • Military References - Early Perry County Maps
  • Antique Photograph Collection


  • Annual Quilt Show
  • Dogwood Tour
  • Annual Antique Doll Show
  • Fall Festival
  • Wine Tasting Fundraisers
  • Individual and Group Tours
  • School Tours
  • Meeting Space for Civic and Social Organizations
  • Promotion of Local Art Talent

Chuck Poehlein is the Curator. Lee Litherland is Acquisitions Director.
The museum is located on SR66, designated a National Scenic Highway. I-64 runs east-west just 25 miles away.

Back to top of Cannelton Section

Air Crash Memorial Site

This information is provided in memory of the Northwest Orient Electra Airlines crash victims, who died at Millstone, IN, 8 miles due east of Cannelton, IN, March 17, 1960.

The Chicago, IL to Miami, FL Lockheed Electra carrying 57 passengers and a crew of six plunged into the earth killing all on board. The plane fell apart in mid-air as engine, wing, and plane parts were strewn over a two mile area in Perry County. The plane's cruising speed was 406 mph and it is estimated that the plane was traveling nearly 600 mph as it's fuselage plunged nose first into a bean field at Millstone, burying it 50 ft. into the earth.

After extensive research at Lockheed, it was revealed that a weakness in the Electra's outer engine supports caused the crash. This weakness, when circumstances were right, started a series of vibrations, in effect the engine began bouncing and this vibration soon transferred its force to the wing itself, which hopelessly stressed it and broke it off. Clear air turbulence was reported over Perry County the day of the crash. After the crash, Lockheed acted forthrightly and recalled all Electras for modifications.

A memorial is erected at the crash site by the Cannelton Kiwanis and public donations. It's for all practical purposes a memorial park. The cleared landscaped acre draws the eye gently left and right, then down to focus on a paved circle set precisely over the original crater where the plane was buried. The unpolished grey Vermont granite monument, on small steps, faces south. Four red cedar trees surround it. In shape, it's a 9 ft. high center tablet flanked by four lower tablets which list the names of the victims. Atop the center tablet is a torch of life. Set below it is engraved; "This memorial, dedicated to the memory of 63 persons who died in an airplane crash at this location, March 17, 1960, was erected by public subscription in the the hope that such tragedies will be eliminated." Those words were written by Bob Cummings, editor of the Cannelton News and Cannelton Kiwanis. The park is open to everyone and is a beautiful short drive 8 miles East of Cannelton.

The Electra's Specifications Are:
Overall Length 104 ft. 6 inches
Height 33 ft.
Wingspan 99 ft.
Max Speed 450 mph
Powerplants 4 Allison Prop Jet Engines
Passenger Cap. 66 - 99

Probable Cause of the Crashes of the Lockheed Electra

[The following information was related in February 1996 by Orville Newall, a 12-year veteran of the United States Air Force and Reserve. His assignment was in one of the first units of rescue teams at an air disaster. One of the training films included this description.]

After no satisfactory explanation for the cause of the crashes Lockheed decided upon this test: An Electra was completely submerged in a large tank of water, the reason being that difference in air pressure between the cabin and exterior at 30,000 feet could better be controlled. Hundreds of small motors were connected by cables to different parts of the fuselage and wings so as to simulate the vibration stress of the plane in flight.

Many hours of vibration finally led to metal fatigue between rivit holes of the mounting of a window in the cabin. When the window gave way and blew out like the tearing of a postage stamp, the plane began tearing apart.

The Plane Crash Memorial: A Narrative

This is Roland Brewer, owner and operator of radio station WTCJ. We have just received word of an apparent plane crash near Millstone. Local farmer, George McIntrye, reported the wreckage in his field just moments ago. We are at that location now and can report that we have found a wing, part of what appears to be a fuselage undercarriage, and a large engine. It is difficult to determine exactly what has happened. But it is now quite evident that this is only part of the wreckage. Whatever has gone down is quite a sizable aircraft. Right now there is only myself and one state policeman who are trying to locate the rest of the wreckage. We are returning to our vehicles to begin what I fear is a most gruesome search.

We are having some difficulty in navigating these county roads which have, in some cases, become nearly impassable with two-foot drifts of snow. This March snowfall has certainly added to the drama of this critical situation. The only thing in our favor is that fact that we still have several hours of daylight left. Even my DeSoto seems to be resisting our efforts. I have lost the power steering and am forced to maneuver the car over this treacherous terrain with sheer muscle and my force of will. We are determined to find the rest of this plane and to offer assistance to survivors.

I see something ahead...the trees...what's that in the trees? Is it snow? Why, no--it's clothing! Every limb of every tree is strung with clothing...shirts...dresses...they look as though they've been hung out to dry. I can't...I can't believe what I'm seeing. I believe I see smoke up ahead. I'm afraid...there does appear to be...something. I'm pulling in behind the officer. We must proceed on foot.

Oh, no! What I can see is worse that you could ever imagine. There is a crater--it appears to be quite deep...perhaps 35 feet deep. There is thick smoke. I can barely make out the twisted wreckage of a large aircraft. The plane appears to have slammed itself nose first into the ground. I don't see how anyone could possibly have survived this kind of impact. As I look around in the snow I see slivers of silver/green metal, spilled fuel, and debris. I see no bodies...only indistinguishable remnants of human remains. Here is the largest identifiable piece of humanity: a part of a backbone that is still connected to a kidney. These people...these poor people. What must have happened? How long must they have known their inescapable fate? The wing and engine we first found must have been 3 or 4 miles away. I've never seen anything like this before...

...For days the Graves and Registration Troops continued to sift through the 4 or 5 acres of the wreckage, often mistaking pieces of pink airplane insulation for frozen pieces of human flesh. The smell of charred bodies, once frozen--then thawed--remains with me today. I came home from the crash site that first night and threw away my clothes. We reported the story to ABC, CBS, NBC, Canada and Mexico. A Two-inch communication cable was laid by Bell Telephone all the way from Cannelton to the crash site. Ultimately 8 or 9 coffins were provided to hold the recovered human remains of the 63 passengers and 6 crew members. All were buried in Greenwood Cemetery, but, in truth, only 2 of them actually held any contents at all. The other 6 were empty--symbolic gestures of grief.

The memorial stone you see here today does little to pass on to you the horrors that I saw that day. I beg of you to remember that the names--although unfamiliar to you--represent beloved family members--fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters who never came home that snowy day in March of 1960.

Back to top of Cannelton Section


Blue Heron Vineyards

Show All

Saint Meinrad Archabbey and School of Theology

Situated atop one of the many gently rolling hills of nearby Spencer County, Indiana, is Saint Meinrad Archabbey, a community of Benedictine monks who dedicate their lives to prayer and work. Founded in 1854 by a Swiss abbey, Saint Meinrad has served the Catholic Church in ways that have varied according to the Church's needs.

Principally, the 100 monks of Saint Meinrad are men of prayer. They gather three times each day to pray the Liturgy of the Hours and every day to celebrate Mass. In addition, time is set aside daily for private prayer and meditation.

Click a thumbnail below to view larger image.

  • Church and grounds
  • Monk walking under arch
  • Monk Conducting Tour

For many years, Saint Meinrad's primary work has been the education and formation of men for the priesthood. The monks began teaching in 1857, and their mission of educating leaders for the Catholic Church continues today in the School of Theology. In addition to its seminary program, Saint Meinrad offers graduate-level programs for lay ministry students and an extensive Continuing Education Program for priests, deacons, parish professionals and other adults.

Saint Meinrad Archabbey also owns and operates Abbey Press, an international company specializing in the producing and marketing of religious, spiritual and inspirational cards, books and gifts.

Saint Meinrad's newest venture began in the spring of 1999 with the establishment of Abbey Caskets. Abbey Caskets are handmade from poplar and modeled after the monastic caskets. Crafted according to the specifications of the monks, the caskets are made at nearby woodworking shops. The product line also includes a simple cremation urn and a rectangular casket available in several types of wood.

Renowned for its warm hospitality, Saint Meinrad offers a quiet and peaceful respite from the busyness of the modern world. Midweek and weekend retreats are available at the Archabbey Guest House and Retreat Center, and sabbaticals of varying lengths can be customized to an individual's needs.

Visitors to Saint Meinrad Archabbey also enjoy touring the beautiful grounds and newly renovated Archabbey Church. Guided tours are offered each Saturday at 1:30 p.m. Central Time from March through November. Self-guided tours are available anytime. At the Guest House, Abbey Press Gift Shop or Memorial Lobby, you can pick up a free Visitor's Guide, which includes a walking tour of the campus. A self-guided audio tour is also available.

Liturgies in Archabbey Church:

Monday - Saturday, prayer at 5:30 a.m., noon and 5 p.m., Mass at 7:30 a.m.

Sunday, prayer at 7:15 a.m., noon and 5 p.m., Mass at 9:30 a.m.

The small chapel of Monte Cassino is located on a hill near the Archabbey. Surrounded by trees and panoramic views of the Anderson Valley, the shrine dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary is a testament to the age-old tradition of seeking God.

Besides personal pilgrimages to the shrine, public pilgrimages are held each Sunday during May and October. In addition, a Benedictine monk of Saint Meinrad Archabbey presides at Mass in the chapel each Saturday (7 a.m. from May to October; 8 a.m. from November to April). During May and October, Mass is also held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 a.m. (All times are Central Time.)

For more information, news, upcoming events and driving directions, visit Saint Meinrad's Web site or call one of these phone numbers: Guest House (tours and retreats), 800-581-6905; Office of Group Accommodations, 800-730-9910; Enrollment Office, 800-634-6723; or Development Office (financial support), 800-682-0988.

Show All

Sunset Park & the Flood Wall Mural

Sunset part at Washington & 7th Street contains a painted mural on the flood wall. It was done in sections and took 3 years to paint, 1992 - 1994. The idea was conceived by Pat Jarboe, the President of the Perry County Arts Council during those years. It is a rendition of early days of Perry County, each building, boat and person has historical significance. Donations from private individuals, business, industry, and a grant from the Indiana Arts Commission made it possible. Artist Mona Sitzman and Lynn Dauby did the sketches on paper, Jeff Kast transferred the design on the wall, and volunteers did the painting.

floodwall memorialmemorial

Identification of Flood Wall Buildings

Panel 1
1. Sanitaree Washer Company then became Knott Manufacturing (Circa 1911)
2. Heubi Saloon (Right)(Circa 1880) Heubi Residence (Left)
3. Tell City Spoke Company (1890)
4. Zeigelgruber's Meat Cart (Circa 1890)

Panel 2
1. Tell City Planning Mill (Kreisle Building) (1865)
2. Hess Blacksmith Shop (1894)
3. The "Graco" Mulzer Tow Boat (Circa 1928)

Panel 3
1. Frank J. Ress Residence (Circa 1910)
2. Royal Theatre (Circa 1875)
3. Michael Bettinger Residence (1885)

Panel 4
1. Tell City Brewery (Circa 1889)
2. Tell City National Bank (1889)
3. Tell City Flour Mill (1859)
4. Zoercher Insurance Original Office
5. Tell City Fire Department (1928)

Panel 5
1. Tell City City Hall (1896)

Panel 6
1. Opera House (1868)
2. Architectural Sample
3. Schreiber Drug Store (1876)
4. Architectural Sample
5. the "Tell City" Steamboat (1889)

Panel 7
1. Meyerberg Chalet (Circa 1890)
2. Opera House Gazebo (1890)
3. Kessler Pretzel Bakery (1911)
4. Adolph Obrecht Residence (1906)
5. Mechanics Silver Band Wagon (1890)

Panel 8
1. Old South School (1863)
2. Filling Station 9th & Tell Streets (1930)
3. International Order of Odd Fellows Building (1898)
4. Zuelly Residence (Circa 1900)
5. Tell City/Cannelton Jitney Bus Line (Circa 1920)

Panel 9
1. Schaefer & Paulin Building (1875)
2. Tell City Chair (1865)
3. Tell City Wagon (1865)
4. "Old Rock House" (1854) (Oldest standing residence in town)
5. Round House (Circa 1900)
6. Edward's Hydroplane (Circa 1915)

Panel 10
1. Clay Switzer Residence (1885) (Carriage Inn Pizza)
2. Irish Mail (Circa 1885)
3. Train (1888)
4. Train Depot (1898)
5. Wharf Boat (1888)

Back to to of Tell City Attractions

Tell City Historical Society Museum

The Museum is located at 948 9th Street near downtown Tell City in the former Tell City Public Library building. The building is comprised of a Carnegie Library built in 1916 with an addition built in 1966. In addition to over 3700 sq. ft. of display area, the museum includes a genealogy research library, and meeting/audio visual room.

Tell City Historic Museum


The Tell City Historical seeks to preserve the history of Tell City by collecting, displaying, and interpreting historical artifacts for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations. The Society is a 501c3 non-profit organization funded by donations and membership dues.

The mailing address is P.O. Box 728, Tell City, IN 47586 and the phone number is 812-547-9695. The museum is open Sundays (except holidays) from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., during the Perry County Dogwood Festival in April, during the Tell City Schweizer Fest in August, and at other times by appointment. There is no admission fee, but donations are encouraged.

Tell City MuseumTell City Museum
Tell City MuseumTell City Museum

The Society holds membership meetings on the 4th Monday of January, February, March, April, June and October and special events in July (picnic), September (trip-on Saturday or Sunday), and December (Christmas Party). Annually, the Society presents the Distinguished Citizen Award during the Schweizer Fest. Membership is available to anyone aged 21 or older. For further information, contact the museum, Janet Lemaire, President at 812-547-7615, or Mark L. Ress, Curator at 812-547-4159.

Exhibit areas include:

  • The Ohio River and riverboats
  • Churches
  • Military
  • Tell City Banks
  • Schools
  • Sports
  • Retail Merchandising
  • Clubs and organizations
  • Industries of Tell City
  • Tool Room
  • Doctors

Back to to of Tell City Attractions

Statue of William Tell & Son

In honor of Tell City's namesake. Commissioned by Austin Corbin as a gift to the city. Tell City National Bank gave the fountain to the city in honor of the bank's 100 th birthday.

William Tell Statue

Tell City Pretzel Company

Back to to of Tell City Attractions

Click for Tell City, Indiana Forecast


Perry County Indiana Location

Perry County Briefs

Perry County is located in the southwestern part of the US in the state of Indiana. The county seat is Tell City. It is the hilliest county as well as one of the most forested counties in Indiana. As of the 2000 census, the population was approximately 18,900.

Rich in history, Perry County was formed on November 1, 1814 from Warrick County. It was named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who defeated the British squadron in the decisive Battle of Lake Erie in 1813.

Link to download visitors guide
Click Image to Download Guide